Variables in Word Stop Working Randomly

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

lgschwind

Variables in Word Stop Working Randomly

Unread post by lgschwind »

For the Word output, the <%TITLE%> variable on my cover page is working, but it stopped working in the header section on the subsequent pages. It just still has the variable in the document.

This happened last week as well but it stopped working everywhere. I got the original template that came with H&M and redid my cover page changes and it started working again.

Today, I have changed nothing in my Word template but it just stopped working in the header section.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.
Lisa
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Variables in Word Stop Working Randomly

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Lisa,

Are you entering your variables as Word fields? Unlike other Help & Manual templates, you can't just type in the variables in a Word template. They have to be entered as special Word fields, otherwise they won't work. See this section in the help for details:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... x_vars.htm

See both the topic above and the next one after it with the specific instructions for creating fields.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
lgschwind

Re: Variables in Word Stop Working Randomly

Unread post by lgschwind »

That was it. Not sure how I missed that -- I even searched the help. I should have searched again after taking a break from it before posting. Thank you!
Lisa