Can a mouseover hotspot also be a hyperlink?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Paul Suderman

Can a mouseover hotspot also be a hyperlink?

Unread post by Paul Suderman »

So I've got these images with 50 or more hotspots on them, and have successfully configured mouseover popups for them. My question is, is there a way to configure the hotspot (while being mouseover-ed) to take me to a link in a different topic when clicked?

Here's the situation - on the mouseover, a brief description is given. I would like to be able to click to then get to the full description.

Thanks,

Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Can a mouseover hotspot also be a hyperlink?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

To achieve this you need to have the mouseover open a javascript popup. Then that popup should contain a hyperlink to the topic with the full explanation.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Paul Suderman

Unread post by Paul Suderman »

That sound totally plausible, but is actually quite Kafka-esque in execution. ;)

When I move my mouse to click on the hyperlink, the mouseover popup disappears. Is there a setting I can adjust?

Thanks,

Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

Sorry -- I made the suggestion without actually trying it myself (and I love Kafka...) In that case I'm afraid this won't work because closing the popup is executed by the same event (mouseover) as opening it. You would need to have a click event for the popup, then it would stay open and the link it it would be clickable, but then you would no longer have the the mouseover for opening it. So it's a Catch 22 situation (and I think Kafka would have liked Joseph Heller as well...) 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.