Blank Output

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

AlisonSMorin

Blank Output

Unread post by AlisonSMorin »

Hi,

I have a trial version of Help & Manual right now. When a publish (WebHelp) my output is blank. I must be doing something so simple and obviously wrong but I cannot figure it out! Could someone please give a girl a hand?

Thanks! :D
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Blank Output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alison,

Completely blank WebHelp would be very unusual. Are you sure you're not selecting CHM/HTML Help instead? It's easy to make that look blank: All it takes is to select a network folder for your output. Then Windows will display it without any content because CHM help files are blocked on network drives, external drives and the Internet for security reasons.

When publishing, make sure you select "WebHelp" and not "HTML Help (.chm)" when you click on the Publish Format bar at the top of the Publish screen. Or if you do want to generate a CHM file, make sure that you select a local folder on a drive on your own computer as the output folder.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
AlisonSMorin

Unread post by AlisonSMorin »

Hi,

Thanks for your response! In Publish Format, under Settings I only have Webhelp checked off and the output is still blank. I get the navigation options to click on the left but there is no content.... Any other ideas?

Alison
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alison,
In Publish Format, under Settings I only have Webhelp checked off and the output is still blank.
You're looking in the wrong place and overlooking the main setting at the top. My guess is that you left the main setting at the top set to HTML Help and set the Included Options at the bottom to WebHelp, which can easily result in blank output.

See the attached screenshot below.
publishing_settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.