Rebuild a tree at the opening of the new CHM

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

IngvarRu

Rebuild a tree at the opening of the new CHM

Unread post by IngvarRu »

There is a hyperlink to another file. When I open it, opened the desired page, but the old CHM tree is displayed. How i can make that tree rebuild from new CHM? Or is it a restriction CHM?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Rebuild a tree at the opening of the new CHM

Unread post by Tim Green »

IngvarRu wrote:There is a hyperlink to another file. When I open it, opened the desired page, but the old CHM tree is displayed. How i can make that tree rebuild from new CHM? Or is it a restriction CHM?
Sorry, this isn't quite clear. When you say "another file" what file is that, what kind of file and where is it? And what do you mean when you say "the old CHM tree is displayed"?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
IngvarRu

There is a file CHM1, it has a hyperlink to the page file from CHM2.
Opens CHM1 respectively, in the tree tree CHM1. Click on a hyperlink to a page CHM2. CHM2 page opened, but the tree remains from CHM1 (that is, the tree remaining old - fille CHM2).
How to make that the tree was on CHM2?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ingvar,
IngvarRu wrote:There is a file CHM1, it has a hyperlink to the page file from CHM2.
Opens CHM1 respectively, in the tree tree CHM1. Click on a hyperlink to a page CHM2. CHM2 page opened, but the tree remains from CHM1 (that is, the tree remaining old - fille CHM2).

That is normal if you are opening the topic from the other CHM inside the current CHM. You can't replace the TOC of the current CHM.
How to make that the tree was on CHM2?
To do that you have to open the other CHM in a new window. To do this you must use a file link, which must call the HTML Help viewer as the target with the CHM file as the execution parameter.

Select the Link tool in Write > Insert and choose the File Link option. In the "File name:" field enter:

hh.exe

as the file to link to (this is the help viewer).

Then enter your CHM file and topic details in the "Execution parameters: field", using the following syntax:

ms-its:helpfile.chm::/topicname.htm#anchor

Where "helpfile.chm" is the name of your help file "topicfile.htm" is the topic ID of the topic you want to link to + ".htm" (all lower case letters!) and "anchor" is the optional ID of an anchor on the page you want to link to. For example:

ms-its:myhelp.chm::/introduction.htm#note3

To call topics via a context ID use the syntax:

hh.exe -mapid 12030 ms-its:helpfile.chm

where you would replace the 12030 with the context ID of the topic or anchor you want to display.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
IngvarRu

Whether it is planned system solution?
For example the checkbox "Open in new window", which would be opened the file with the parameters you have describe?
Tim Green
Site Admin

IngvarRu wrote:Whether it is planned system solution?
For example the checkbox "Open in new window", which would be opened the file with the parameters you have describe?
No, the above description is the standard procedure for doing this. We don't currently have plans for changing this. Note that CHM is rapidly becoming an obsolete format that Microsoft has clearly abandoned. The entire CHM system has not been updated or even bug-fixed since it was originally released with Windows 98. The CHM viewer is still the original Windows 98 program, and it is not compatible with modern high-resolution Windows devices. Help & Manual makes the topic content scale correctly on these devices, but the viewer itself still does not.
Regards,

Private support: