Names of images by default

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

IngvarRu

Names of images by default

Unread post by IngvarRu »

I use something like this way of naming Topic IDs:
Section1.SubSection1.Topic1
Section1.SubSection1.Topic2
Section1.SubSection2.Topic1
Names of images I give the same as Topic ID (just add the number of the images at the end). Is it possible in future versions make it possible to the default name the images was equal to name Topic ID.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Names of images by default

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ingvar,

Thank you for your mail!

We have considered doing something like this. However, there are almost as many preferences for the naming schemes as there are users, so we decided against it. :?

By the way: Using the dot character in your topic IDs is a bad idea, even if it is allowed. The dot character has a special meaning in file names and paths and can sometimes cause problems. We strongly recommend changing the dots to underscores (_) or dashes (-), which cannot be incorrectly interpreted. For the highest level of safety, only use a..z, A..Z, 0..9 and the _ and - characters in topic IDs and project names. That is stricter than absolutely necessary, but it is easy to remember and ensures that you won't have problems caused by rogue characters.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
IngvarRu

Tim Green wrote: We have considered doing something like this. However, there are almost as many preferences for the naming schemes as there are users, so we decided against it. :?
Can still make the field adjustable by mask? User with a set of system variables (name of the topic, the root partition, date, etc.) forms the desired format.
I saw a similar program in Snagit
Tim Green wrote: By the way: Using the dot character in your topic IDs is a bad idea, even if it is allowed. The dot character has a special meaning in file names and paths and can sometimes cause problems. We strongly recommend changing the dots to underscores (_) or dashes (-), which cannot be incorrectly interpreted. For the highest level of safety, only use a..z, A..Z, 0..9 and the _ and - characters in topic IDs and project names. That is stricter than absolutely necessary, but it is easy to remember and ensures that you won't have problems caused by rogue characters.
I know about this, but it is the legacy of the previous Help.
In addition, the when you compile substituting point with _
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ingvar,
Can still make the field adjustable by mask? User with a set of system variables (name of the topic, the root partition, date, etc.) forms the desired format.
That's a possibility. We'll look into it. However, I don't think it would be used that often. The majority of users choose a descriptive name that refers to the specific image.
I know about this, but it is the legacy of the previous Help.
In addition, the when you compile substituting point with _
The trouble with the substitution is that you have to remember it when crafting your own links from topic IDs. Note that in the current version of Help & Manual 7 you can now choose the substitution character yourself, in View > Program Options > Editor. (If you choose an invalid character the original will simply be deleted and not replaced.)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
IngvarRu

Tim Green wrote: That's a possibility. We'll look into it. However, I don't think it would be used that often. The majority of users choose a descriptive name that refers to the specific image.
Yes, but there is always a hierarchy. And the names of the images may be the same in different TOC, so write correctly at the beginning of the name of the topic to which they relate