Import HTML Help Workshop files?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ian Branch

Import HTML Help Workshop files?

Unread post by Ian Branch »

Hi Team,
I have been passed the source of a HTML Help Workshop help file.
What is the most efficient way to import it into H%M please?

Regards & TIA,
Ian
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Import HTML Help Workshop files?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ian,
Ian Branch wrote:I have been passed the source of a HTML Help Workshop help file.
What is the most efficient way to import it into H%M please?
There is actually no such thing as a HTML Help Workshop help file -- do you mean a CHM file created with HTML Help Workshop, or the folder full of source files for a HTML Help Workshop project? There is a single master file in the HTML Help Workshop project, but you can't do anything with that unless you have all the other files as well.

Either way, you will need the compiled CHM file to import to Help & Manual. You can't import the source files directly and that wouldn't be an advantage because all the information you need is in the CHM file. If you only have the project, you just need to compile it to a CHM file first with HTML Help Workshop.

Once you have the CHM file, you select New Project and the option to create a new project with data from a CHM file. See these topics in the help for details of how to configure the options for importing:

General settings:
http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ortnew.htm

Specific settings:
http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ttings.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ian Branch

Unread post by Ian Branch »

Hi Tim,
Thank you for the reply.
I have a folder full of .html files.
Just hoping for a short cut...;-)
I will get HTML Help Workshop and compile it to a .chm.

Regards & Thanks again.
Ian
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ian,

If you have a folder full of HTML files that you can import those directly by selecting the option to import HTML and TXT files instead of the CHM option. However, if the files you have are actually CHM source files (and you have the HTML Help Workshop project file and the other data files) you will still do better to import the CHM instead, because that will give you all the structure, table of contents, keyword index and other components that you will not import if you only import the HTML files. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.