How to create TOC of tables

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to create TOC of tables

Unread post by Tim Green »

Rob,

More on the ToF item: This is just a standard Word placeholder object and you can place it anywhere you like in the template. It is formatted in Word, not in Help+Manual.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Kimberly Hitchens

Unread post by Kimberly Hitchens »

Tim Green wrote:
@Hitch:
Just an idea--what if Table Captions were a thing? I mean, if tables had captions (with numbering, possibly), then, couldn't you create a list of the captions, by calling the styles linked thereto? Would that be an eas(ier) way to address it?
I've asked Alex to look into this. However, as in all things with HM, supporting a wide range of very different output formats makes most ideas much more complicated than they seem at first glance, with many unexpected ramifications and side-effects.
Of course--I knew, immediately after I hit "submit" that it was dumb to mention it, as GMTA! (Great Minds...). What I was thinking is that since H&M handles styles with such facility, creating a caption style, for tables, solely, might short-cut it.

Hitch
John Johann

Unread post by John Johann »

Been experimenting with this as I too would like to have TOF and TOT in my PDFs without having to go through docx.

What is best practice for the captions for tables and images?
I currently have the captions for tables and figures in a conditional paragraph after the image/table (e.g. IFNOT CHM, HTML <%LangSpecificVariable%> <%Counter%>: Caption END).

The paragraph is formatted as "Table Caption" or "Image Caption" respectively.

When I output to docx, the styles are then "H&M Table Caption" or "H&M Image Caption".

I can then pick those two up in the docx for TOT and TOF
TOC \h \z \t "H&M Table Caption" \c \x
TOC \h \z \t "H&M Image Caption" \c \x

Has anyone a more elegant solution with appropriate switches?