How to create TOC of tables

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

sanaa sanaa

How to create TOC of tables

Unread post by sanaa sanaa »

Hi...
Is it possible to create a table of content of tables, as we do for figures ?
I did not find any information about that.
It's possible on MS word, it should be possible with help and Manual too.

Thank you. :D
Last edited by sanaa sanaa on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to create TOC of tabels

Unread post by Tim Green »

Help & Manual doesn't currently have a function for generating a list of tables or figures -- except in the Word DOCX output, where you can use the Word functions for that by entering them in your DOCX template. You can number figures and tables with simple consecutive numbering variables, but you can't generate lists of them.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
sanaa sanaa

Re: How to create TOC of tabels

Thank you, currently I'm using a Ms word output, for figures it is possible to auto generate figures table when I fill the caption option in help and manuel. but I did not find a way to add caption or title to a table.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: How to create TOC of tables

Tables don't have captions or titles in Help & Manual. You can add those in a separate paragraph above or below the table and keep them together with the "Keep with Next" attribute for the paragraph.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
sanaa sanaa

License usage policy

I want to know if I buy the professional version and I install it on a computer, how many times can I transfer it from a computer to an other please?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: License usage policy

Hi Sanaa,
sanaa sanaa wrote:I want to know if I buy the professional version and I install it on a computer, how many times can I transfer it from a computer to an other please?
You can install the program on both your desktop and your laptop computer provided that both are used only by you. You need a second license if the second machine is used by another user, however. If you want to transfer your license to another user just uninstall it on all your computers and send a mail to sales AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) with details of the old and new user (names, addresses, emails) and we will update our customer database accordingly.
Regards,

Private support:
sanaa sanaa

Re: License usage policy

Hi,

I need a phone number to contact your sales department, I'm calling from Canada, and phone number on your web site is not working. I need to know how to configure a licence on a desktop with multi-users interface. It means that the licence is not associated to only one user but it's on one desktop and one person at a time can use it.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Sanaa,

We received your email and will continue the conversation by mail. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Rob Davis

Unread post by Rob Davis »

Hi
Was there any public follow-up?
We publish in .pdf, and need a ToF as well as the ToC.

I was wondering if anything is happening on this front.
I suppose we could publish in .doc and then convert, but it will be a lot of unwelcome effort, especially as we have spent a lot of time fine-tuning the direct .pdf output to get a uniform, repeatable look-and-feel across our range of printed/displayed manuals.

Any chance of good news?
Thanks
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

At the moment there is still only the automatic table of figures function in Word output. However, there appears to be a fair amount of demand for a global function that would work in all output formats so it is something we're looking into. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Rob Davis

Thanks.
I have tried really hard to get the function to work in Word - even though this condemns me to set up the Word template to match my existing pdf style.
Key points:
- Getting my front page and boilerplate stuff to match has not been easy. The H&M pdf layout page with its separate tabs for different page types is so much easier than doing this in Word.
- The actual content transfers across pretty easily, with look-and-feel being pretty straight-forward.
- Took me a while and lots of trial-and-error to get the '<%CHAPTERHEADING%>' style to connect to the H&M Heading1 style, etc, but I got that going too. But perhaps I am doing it wrong, because at the moment I would still have to make the correspondence each time I publish - I can't make it 'remember'.
- However, no amount of head-scratching has allowed me to get the ToF option to work. And if I do, I will still have no idea how to relate the H&M '<%HMFIGURECOUNTER%>' in the Caption to relate to the automatic Docx 'Figure' counter - in their Word Style.

You don't have any kind of Webinar or interactive Q&A sessions, do you?

So, in general, it looks like my next round of publishing will still not have ToFs, and I'll have to wait till you implement it in .pdf.

Regards
Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

Did you use the Word-Template-With-Table-Of-Figures template as the basis for your version? That contains a preconfigured ToF field that should work.
Regards,

Private support:
Rob Davis

Yes, I am using that template (renamed and saved in my folders).

Yesterday I DID manage to get a ToF to appear - but after a lot of trial-and-error.

I still don't get how to easily link styles in the template to styles in the project - am still editing in the output file each time I publish.

Formatting of the ToF is messed up, and it's at the end of the document rather than after the ToC where I want it, but its a start . . . .

;-)
Kimberly Hitchens

Unread post by Kimberly Hitchens »

Tim Green wrote:Hi Rob,

Did you use the Word-Template-With-Table-Of-Figures template as the basis for your version? That contains a preconfigured ToF field that should work.

Hi, Tim:

Just an idea--what if Table Captions were a thing? I mean, if tables had captions (with numbering, possibly), then, couldn't you create a list of the captions, by calling the styles linked thereto? Would that be an eas(ier) way to address it?

Hitch
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week. On the styles: The styles in the Word document are generated directly from those in the Help+Manual Project, insofar as styles are used. Is what you are looking for the ability to create a global external Word stylesheet that you can apply to Word files exported by HM?

I'm not sure about the formatting of the ToF at the moment. I'm looking into it.

@Hitch:
Just an idea--what if Table Captions were a thing? I mean, if tables had captions (with numbering, possibly), then, couldn't you create a list of the captions, by calling the styles linked thereto? Would that be an eas(ier) way to address it?
I've asked Alex to look into this. However, as in all things with HM, supporting a wide range of very different output formats makes most ideas much more complicated than they seem at first glance, with many unexpected ramifications and side-effects.
Regards,

Private support: