Style repositories and subversion

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Nadia Gaganova

Style repositories and subversion

Unread post by Nadia Gaganova »

I have several projects, they are under svn control and use the same styles, which makes it reasonable to use a style repository. But how do I do it? The repository is in zip-compressed format, so it cannot be put under svn. Keeping it in a network location is a lot less convenient, and also I would like to have version history available.
What is the recommended procedure?
Omit needles swords
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Style repositories and subversion

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Nadia,

Style repositories are not compressed. They are uncompressed with sub-folders in the same way as HMXP projects. However, at the moment Help & Manual does not directly support binding style repositories to SVN from within the program. This has now been updated and support for it is going to become available in version 7.1 due out in April.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nadia Gaganova

Thank you, my mistake.
Omit needles swords
Nadia Gaganova

I got what was the source of the mistake. The skin files are compressed, and I missed the diff functions while working on the new skin for our projects...
Omit needles swords
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Nadia Gaganova wrote:I got what was the source of the mistake. The skin files are compressed, and I missed the diff functions while working on the new skin for our projects...
There is an undocumented trick for dealing with this: You can create uncompressed skins that you can still edit that will be included in the diffing in your version control.
  1. Change the extension from .hmskin to .zip and unpack the contents to an empty folder
  2. Change the name of of the project file from project.hmxp to your_chosen_name.hmskin
The folder is then your new skin project. You can choose the skin for publishing by choosing the .hmskin file and you can also edit it by opening it in Help+Manual. The only thing that won't work is the preview of the skin when you select it in the Publish screen. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nadia Gaganova

Wow. I should try this. Thanks Tim!
Omit needles swords