ewriter ebooks not working on windows 10 latest builds

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Hi

They create okay - but won't open - they show in task manager but I never see the screen prompting for password to open the file

In last build of Windows 10 - 14316 - when created it didn't open - but if ended the task for the exe and opened it again it was fine

For newest build - 14328 - it doesn't open at all - just shows in task manager

Any testing I can do to help fix then please let me know
Simon Dismore

Re: ewriter ebooks not working on windows 10 latest builds

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

I suppose the move towards rolling updates for Windows 10 is going to mean more continuous testing for ebooks. I hadn't thought of that before. Of course 14316 is a "fast lane" preview so that might be a Microsoft bug, but...

I wonder whether it would be better in the long term to use Electron as the platform for eWriter books? If H&M used the same configuration of Electron that Visual Studio Code is built on, Microsoft and Github would be first in line to find and fix showstopper bugs. I like the idea of having the browser bundled into the book rather than depending on whatever the user has installed, because it would give me more control over features, and I could in theory publish to OSX and Linux distributions too. Of course the file sizes would be much larger, but I believe ec-Software intends to separate eWriter books from the .exe in future, so the exe size might not be an issue.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Darren,

Thanks for reporting this. Alexander is going to have a look at it right away. I can't test it directly at the moment because my W10 devices are all licensed working machines and they are all on the release build.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Darren Rose

Thanks Tim

Any testing you need me to do Alexander just let me know
Darren Rose

Did anything ever come of this issue as still affecting me

Just noticed it uses a lot of CPU as well when ebook "hiding" in background and not showing

Every time I publish I have to remember to check task manager for the ebook and end task first each time
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Darren,

You appear to be the only person affected by this. We've now done extensive testing and we cannot reproduce any problems with EWriter on any fast lane build of Windows 10, or any other build for that matter. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Darren Rose

Thanks for the update..

It happens on all computers I use and support - so if it is not Windows 10 then it is AVG Internet Security affecting it......
Darren Rose

UPDATE: Yes definitely AVG Internet Security - with it disabled ebook launches fine
Tim Green
Site Admin

Darren Rose wrote:UPDATE: Yes definitely AVG Internet Security - with it disabled ebook launches fine
Interesting, we'll look into it! My personal recommendation would be not to use any third party antivirus of security programs any more. My experience is that they generally cause more problems than they solve. They must actually behave like rootkits to be able to do their work, and by the nature of their business they have agendas which are not necessarily in the user's interest.

The bottom line is either use the built-in protection in Windows, or get a Mac. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Darren Rose

As someone who spends every day removing malware etc from my customers computers I disagree - the built in protection is poor, and AVG does a much better job of protecting my customers - those I see regularly have no issues when running AVG - but those with no protection, built-in protection or a lesser product such as McAfee or Norton have numerous issues

As confirmed in my regular independent virus testing that I do = http://www.pcassistonline.co.uk/Helpand ... _2016.html
Tim Green
Site Admin

I would agree that people incapable or unwilling to learn basic security discipline will probably need to have something like that. But users who are reasonably capable and aware will generally be better off not having any third party security products. Actually, simply having them run as genuine restricted users would probably eliminate well over 90% of all security problems. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Darren Rose

yes that is true - unfortunately "home" users are not like us who work in IT and don't want to learn or can't seem to grasp basic security discipline :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

The huge majority of home users don't really you need a Windows or Mac computer at all, that's more than they need and more than they can manage. Both systems are really designed for use by professional engineers. Home users would be much better off with an iPad or a Chromebook. I wouldn't recommend an Android tablet, because those are nearly as complicated as a PC to manage. As soon as it becomes easier to do things like add attachments to mails on the iPad and it will be a better option for most. It's not quite there yet, but it's getting close.
Regards,

Private support:
Darren Rose

Yes I am moving a lot of my older customers to ipad as much easier for them and less things to go wrong - But wouldn't want all my customers going that route as I would be out of business!
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Just installed AVG antivirus on Windows 10 and the EXE eBook runs like a charm... Is it perhaps one particular eBook that does not work for you or does this happen with all eBooks. If all, are they digitally signed? Since HM7, you can digitally sign the EXE eBooks after creating them (the old exe format crashed when you added a signature to the final file). I strongly recommend to sign any executable file that you publish.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH