Index as listbox not working in Integrated IFrames Webhelp

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Nadia Gaganova

Index as listbox not working in Integrated IFrames Webhelp

Unread post by Nadia Gaganova »

Hello!
Actually, I have a lot of questions to ask on customizing skins - should I start a new topic for each or bundle them together?

At the moment, I'm trying to make one of Integrated IFrames Webhelp skins my starting point (I have PP v.2, but the webhelp skins there don't suit me because of all the tabs and visual clatter of buttons). But I'd really like the index to be a listbox, allowing search, and the option doesn't work: Firefox, IE, Chrome - I type in the listbox and nothing happens; I scroll to the keyword and click - in FF and IE the topic opens, in Chrome not even that. JavaScript enabled everywhere.
Omit needles swords
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Index as listbox not working in Integrated IFrames Webhe

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Nadia,

What language are you using in your help? The listbox option will currently only work correctly with Latin character sets and also has problems with accented characters in Latin character sets.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nadia Gaganova

Latin only, it's an all-English documentation.
Omit needles swords
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Nadia,

This is strange. Before doing anything else, please download the current stable beta, where some improvements have been made to the list box index:

http://download.ec-software.com/help-an ... 0-beta.exe

You need to check the option to install sample files again and then take one of the updated listbox skins from \Templates\HTML Skins in the HM program directory.

If this doesn't help please mail a sample project and the skin you are using to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we'll check it for you.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nadia Gaganova

Looking at other skins in which the listbox index works, I see that for some reason, when a keyword is already selected (highlighted in the list), pressing Enter doesn't work to go to the page - you have to mouse-click on it. Now that is strange. Intentional?
Omit needles swords
Tim Green
Site Admin

Nadia Gaganova wrote:Looking at other skins in which the listbox index works, I see that for some reason, when a keyword is already selected (highlighted in the list), pressing Enter doesn't work to go to the page - you have to mouse-click on it. Now that is strange. Intentional?
There has never been an Enter function like that for keywords to jump to the page in any index solution. You have always had to explicitly select the keyword with the mouse or by tapping it on touchscreens to jump to the page. It might be possible to provide something like that, but you are the first person who has ever mentioned it as a possibility since Help & Manual has existed... 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:There has never been an Enter function like that for keywords to jump to the page in any index solution. You have always had to explicitly select the keyword with the mouse or by tapping it on touchscreens to jump to the page. It might be possible to provide something like that, but you are the first person who has ever mentioned it as a possibility since Help & Manual has existed... 8)
Hi Tim,

It works fine if caret browsing is enabled -- F7 in most browsers. Navigate to the keyword entry with the arrow buttons and press Enter. :)

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Martin Wynne wrote:It works fine if caret browsing is enabled -- F7 in most browsers. Navigate to the keyword entry with the arrow buttons and press Enter. :)
Carrot browsing is one of those things that have never been on my horizon. I've never really seen any point in it and never use it, so I'm not a good person to ask about it. :mrgreen:
Regards,

Private support:
Nadia Gaganova

Well CHM format does exactly this. You type the keyword and press Enter, without taking your hands off the keyboard. I know, I know, doing everything by keyboard is a habit that is going away quick... It's just that we're migrating from CHM to HTML webhelp, so it was automatic to try.
Omit needles swords
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:Carrot browsing is one of those things that have never been on my horizon. I've never really seen any point in it and never use it, so I'm not a good person to ask about it. :mrgreen:
Hi Tim,

If you are a champion mouse-fumbler like me, it is 10 times easier when selecting and copying content from a web page. :)

There doesn't seem to be any downside to caret browsing, so I just leave it switched on.

And carrot browsing is good for seeing the screen in the dark.

Martin.
Nadia Gaganova

Thanks for the prompt help Tim and Alexander.

This thread has already wandered away to offtopic, so can I be offtopic some more and reiterate my question from the first post: do I lump all the queries about skin editing together or start a new topic for each?
Omit needles swords
Tim Green
Site Admin

Nadia Gaganova wrote:This thread has already wandered away to offtopic, so can I be offtopic some more and reiterate my question from the first post: do I lump all the queries about skin editing together or start a new topic for each?
It's always best to ask just one question, wait for and digest the answer and then move on to the next question. This also makes the forum much more usable as a reference resource.

Insider information: There's nothing in the world that support people dread more than a single post with twenty complex questions, or twenty posts all at the same time... :twisted:
Regards,

Private support:
Nadia Gaganova

That's what I was afraid of, posting a bunch of questions at the same time - but will now go ahead! =)
Omit needles swords