Problem inserting another hmxz as child topic.

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dan Rosen

Problem inserting another hmxz as child topic.

Unread post by Dan Rosen »

I'm having a problem when inserting another help file as a child topic in my help file. When displayed in webhelp the top page of the inserted help file is not showing. Rather the first page of the original help file displays.

For example:

My TOC is:

Code: Select all

A1
  A2
  A3
  B1
     B2
     B3
where B1 is another help file inserted into the project A. When I click on the TOC in webhelp for B1, A1 displays. All the other pages in project B (i.e. B2, B3) show correction.

Hope this makes sense.

Update: Same problem with CHM but PDF output is OK.

Another question about this. Project B has a variable for the product name. Can I override that variable in project A so it automatically flows down to Project B? This way I can use Project B in multiple help files.

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Problem inserting another hmxz as child topic.

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dan,

The most likely cause here is duplicate topic IDs in your two projects. See this topic in the documentation for an explanation and mitigation strategies:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ar_ids.htm
Another question about this. Project B has a variable for the product name. Can I override that variable in project A so it automatically flows down to Project B? This way I can use Project B in multiple help files.
Absolutely: Since project A is the master project all changes there have priority. If the same variable is defined in the master and one of the children, changing it in the master will overload it in all the children where the same variable is defined. The only way to prevent the master version being used in a child would be to redefine it in individual topics using the topic variables feature in the Topic Options tab.

Note that this only applies to the master, i.e. the project into which the child is inserted. If you have two children in the same master, changing a variable definition in one of the children will have no effect on the definition in the other child. They are structurally side by side, and they can't pass any information to each other. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Dan Rosen

Re: Problem inserting another hmxz as child topic.

Unread post by Dan Rosen »

Thanks problems solved. Great support.