Why do anchors create huge spaces above headings?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Hawco

Why do anchors create huge spaces above headings?

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

When I insert an anchor in a heading, the compiled page inserts a huge amount of top margin space above the heading. This does not appear if the heading does not contain an anchor. What is it about the anchor that creates this spacing?

It's not in the skin nor in the typography repository. I've changed the skin and I've removed the repository and after compiling I still get those huge spaces. Here's a screenshot of a test (arrows point to where anchors appear):

Any idea what's going on here? These are just regular old anchors. They don't even have context IDs or keywords!
(H&M 7 with modified "Webhelp, iFrames Responsive, White-Grey.hmskin" skin.)
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco
Simon Dismore

Re: Why do anchors create huge spaces above headings?

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Doesn't happen to me using Heading 1 "with" vs. "without" anchors in a new project. Compiled with H&M 7.2.0 build 3971 with (a) no skin, and (b) unmodified "Webhelp, iFrames Responsive, White-Grey.hmskin". The browser's 'inspect element' feature might be your friend here.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

Something screwy is going on there. Please mail me a small demo project at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll have a look at it. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Hawco

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

File has been sent. Thanks!
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco
David Laczko

Unread post by David Laczko »

I ran into this phenomenon when publishing to chm (and it doesn't just happen with headings) when the page's header is turned off - having it on the spacing is normal. Version 8.3.1 Build 5794.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

David Laczko wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 am I ran into this phenomenon when publishing to chm (and it doesn't just happen with headings) when the page's header is turned off - having it on the spacing is normal. Version 8.3.1 Build 5794.
Check your formatting in that topic. First check the Heading1 style in Write > Styles > Edit Styles and see how much space before is defined in its paragraph options. Then switch on paragraph and text markers in View > Program Options > Editor so that you can see if there are any spurious empty paragraphs.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.