Printing breadcrumbs

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ted Carlson

Printing breadcrumbs

Unread post by Ted Carlson »

When I open a topic in the printable version the breadcrumbs are not there. I would like to have those appear in the printed page just like the topic...smaller font directly above the topic title. I'm not sure how to go about doing that.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Printing breadcrumbs

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ted,

These are excluded intentionally in the printed version. It would be necessary to change the print version CSS to include them, but I really wouldn't recommend it. If you absolutely must do it we need to know which skin you are using to be able to provide instructions, as each skin is different.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ted Carlson

Unread post by Ted Carlson »

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim. I'll go with your recommendation. I'm not up for making those kinds of modifications. Yet :D
DeWayne Rosene

Unread post by DeWayne Rosene »

Hi Tim, its been four years since any discussion about printing breadcumbs from WebHelp.

My Webhelp based on V7 and the Premium Pack Modern Standard Webhelp skin and looks great. One question however. Is there some way to include the breadcrumbs line when someone uses the print button? It would provide some context for the user of the typical one or two pages printed. They can of course turn on header/footer printing in their browser which adds a date and redundant title along with the http link at the bottom but not as useful as visible breadcrumbs would be.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi DeWayne,
Is there some way to include the breadcrumbs line when someone uses the print button? It would provide some context for the user of the typical one or two pages printed.
In these skins the printable version is actually a completely fresh version of the page that doesn't include the breadcrumbs at all. So the routines for generating this page would have to be updated to generate breadcrumbs as well, pulling them from the current topic on the fly. The breadcrumbs are actually generated dynamically, so you can't just read them from the topic file because they don't exist there.

I'll look into adding this feature to the larger 4.1 update due out in January. No promises, but it might make it into the update. 8) Among óther things, this is going to include a complete overhaul of embedded and field-level help and the WordPress plugin, with support for access to multiple WebHelp collections from a single page and for WebHelp collections stored on different domains.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
DeWayne Rosene

Unread post by DeWayne Rosene »

I had already noticed that the topic page was first opened in a new tab before the print dialog opened up regardless of which browser I am using, when using the "print" option from within the help page. That is kind of ugly IMO. What is odd however is that even when I print a page using the browser print dialog it still prints the page sans breadcrumbs, toc sidebar, etc. and it does that without first opening the topic in a separate tab. Perhaps controlling that last bit of behavior would be easier than altering the internal print dialog.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi DeWayne,

If you only want to allow the breadcrumbs in the standard print function in the browser that's easy. Edit the hmwebhelp_main_desktop.css file and locate these lines of code down at the end of the file:

Code: Select all

/* Layout of printable version for browser print function */
@media only print {

body, div#pagewrapper {
		background-color: transparent !important;
		background-image: none !important;
	}

a#headerlogo, div#headerwrapper, div#headerbox_wrapper, div#navwrapper, p#ptopic_breadcrumbs, td#topicnavcell, img.dropdown-toggle-icon, div#navigationmenu, div#unclicker, div.topicfooter {
		display: none !important;
	}
Then just delete "p#ptopic_breadcrumbs, " from the list in the last definition shown above. That's it. 8)
Regards,

Private support: