Document Title on PDF

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

shaunmooney

Document Title on PDF

Unread post by shaunmooney »

I am trying to create a PDF with a large title and logo on the first page, but not on any of the others, and can't find a way to do this. I don't want to use a cover page, as I want the first topic to start on the same page as the title, and I don't want to use a header as this will appear on every page.

Please can somebody recommend a way that I can do this?

Thanks!

Shaun
Petra Zamburek

Re: Document Title on PDF

Unread post by Petra Zamburek »

Hi Shaun,

if you don't have an intro, toc or something else you could put your title and logo in the first topic and mark it as a conditional text with IF PDF. So it would be exported to pdf only.

Petra
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Document Title on PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Petra Zamburek wrote:if you don't have an intro, toc or something else you could put your title and logo in the first topic and mark it as a conditional text with IF PDF. So it would be exported to pdf only.
The problem with this is that you can't turn the topic heading off for just one topic in PDF. Even if you use the HEADINGLONG1 variable instead of the HEADING1 variable you will still get a heading even if the topic header is empty, because then the compiler will get it from the TOC caption automatically. So the heading will always come first, and anything you put in the content of your topic will come after it, which is not what you want here.

The only way to not have a heading would be to remove the heading text objects entirely from the Level 1 band in the Topics section in the template, but that would also remove it from all other top level topics. You could do that if you were willing to eliminate the top-level band entirely -- remove the text objects from it and set its height to zero. Then you would have to put the "headings" of all top-level topics in the body of the topic. That would work, but it would be more work to maintain.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.