Retain upper case letter in webhelp htm filenames

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

lgschwind

Retain upper case letter in webhelp htm filenames

Unread post by lgschwind »

We recently switched from Windows to an Apache web server which of course is case-sensitive. I had just copied the Topic ID under Topic Options when creating the helpIDs in our application to ensure they matched exactly but, when I publish Webhelp it converts all filenames to lower-case. I tried putting convert case scripts in htaccess file on the web server which works fine if just pasting a permalink in the address bar but the help link in the application launches a separate window and for some reason it will not convert the case.

I am unable to update the context-sensitive help IDs in our application to all lower case until after the first of year. In the interim, is there a way to retain the upper case letters from the Topic IDs under Topic Options whenever publishing Webhelp?

Thanks.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Retain upper case letter in webhelp htm filenames

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi LG,
I am unable to update the context-sensitive help IDs in our application to all lower case until after the first of year. In the interim, is there a way to retain the upper case letters from the Topic IDs under Topic Options whenever publishing Webhelp?
Sorry, this isn't possible. Help+Manual downcases ALL topic IDs and anchor names without exception and this cannot be changed. Among other things, the proper functioning of many references in the scripts and other components of the Help+Manual skins and templates depends on this. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
lgschwind

Unread post by lgschwind »

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I'll just manually reconcile it until I can get our application updated. Thank you for the quick reply!
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:Sorry, this isn't possible. Help+Manual downcases ALL topic IDs and anchor names without exception and this cannot be changed.
Hi LG,

Which is why I have been nagging for years to have topic IDs automatically down-cased when they are created. There was one glorious version of H&M which did this (6.3 ?), but Alex changed it back, for no reason which I could understand. For years now I have simply got into the habit of immediately going into the Topic Options and manually down-casing the topic ID every time I create a new topic. For the same reason as you -- when I want to create an external link to a topic, I copy and paste from the topic ID to create the URL.

Even if you set an all lower-case topic title, H&M capitalizes it in the topic ID, and then down-cases it again for the file name. :?

Perhaps if we all put this in the Wish List? :)

regards,

Martin.