Embedded help

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Stefan_o

Embedded help

Unread post by Stefan_o »

Hi, I have an embedded help on my wordpress site. Thank you for this function!

I have a problem. The embedding doesn't work on mobile. For some reason the manual doesn't appear to load at all. Has this got something to do with Help and Manual, or is the problem with my wordpress installation?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Embedded help

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Stefan,
Stefan_o wrote:I have a problem. The embedding doesn't work on mobile. For some reason the manual doesn't appear to load at all.
That's correct: Since the mobile devices are small the embedded help is hidden there, because otherwise it would break the layout. You need to include a button or link for Show/Hide help as described in the section on embedding in the PP documentation. Then when the mobile user clicks that button the embedded help will be opened in a new tab.

By the way: Premium Pack 3.2 that will be released with Help+Manual 7.2 comes with a proper Wordpress plugin for embedded help, with a settings page for configuration and a sidebar widget for showing and hiding the help. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Stefan_o

Okay, that's the solution we already used!

It sounds great that you are developing more support for Wordpress integration. I hope you will provide at the same time some guide to what to think about when using HM and Wordpress together. On our to-do-list we have questions such as:

1. SEO. Lots of or users find us by searching for keyword on google. The search result is often something in our manual, so the go directly in to it. Is there a (good) way to "force" these people in to the embedded version?
2. Is there a way to integrate the search functions? Ideally the content in the manual is searchable from anywhere on the website.
3. Since the manual is embedded we don't use the HM header. Is it possible to have one only for those who aren't in the embedded version?

Dont really expect you to have a nice guide right now. But it would be nice if you provided good documentation when the new version is out :)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Stefan_o wrote:1. SEO. Lots of or users find us by searching for keyword on google. The search result is often something in our manual, so the go directly in to it. Is there a (good) way to "force" these people in to the embedded version?

This isn't currently possible because Google will index your site directly, and the search links will take you to the place where the help is located. When it is embedded it is loaded into an iFrame in your page and the search engine can't know about that.
Stefan_o wrote:2. Is there a way to integrate the search functions? Ideally the content in the manual is searchable from anywhere on the website.

This isn't currently supported directly. However, if you use the full version of Wrensoft Zoom (which can also be integrated in Help+Manual) instead of the version bundled in HM you can create a separate search page to access the search. You can also use it to index additional pages and files on your website, not just the WebHelp folder.
Stefan_o wrote:3. Since the manual is embedded we don't use the HM header. Is it possible to have one only for those who aren't in the embedded version?
Do you mean the topic header or the main WebHelp header? The topic header is required in the V3 Responsive skins and will be generated from the TOC captions even if you turn it off. The main WebHelp header is automatically hidden in embedded mode, which should be sufficient.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Stefan_o

Tim Green wrote:
Stefan_o wrote:3. Since the manual is embedded we don't use the HM header. Is it possible to have one only for those who aren't in the embedded version?
Do you mean the topic header or the main WebHelp header? The topic header is required in the V3 Responsive skins and will be generated from the TOC captions even if you turn it off. The main WebHelp header is automatically hidden in embedded mode, which should be sufficient.
Thank you for quick replies. There seems to be some animation when the WebHelp header is hidden when the site loads. When open the site i see the Webhelp header for like half a second while it closes. Is there a way to have it "completely" closed when opened?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Stefan,
Thank you for quick replies. There seems to be some animation when the WebHelp header is hidden when the site loads. When open the site i see the Webhelp header for like half a second while it closes. Is there a way to have it "completely" closed when opened?
No, and that is by design. The animation gives the user a cue that there is something there they can view if they want.
Regards,

Private support: