HelpNDoc vs Help+Manual

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

HelpNDoc vs Help+Manual

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

I am considering the above two applications.

My background is in Word and Framemaker.

I produce operation manuals, test procedures, reports, white papers among many other things.

I would like to output to pdf, online and mobile and have my peers review my work, so anything that could help this would be a bonus.

Why should I choose (or not!) Help+Manual have over HelpNDoc?

The same question will be proposed to a HelpNDoc forum (if I can find one! :frustration: ).
Ga Bowen

Re: HelpNDoc vs Help+Manual

I'm surprised this hasn't been answered. I thought there'd be some evangelists on here shouting from the rooftops!

HelpNDoc (IBE Software) have got back to me so I would be interested in anything people have to post.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Ga Bowen wrote:I'm surprised this hasn't been answered.
Hi,

It is possible to answer this only if you use both programs. I don't imagine many H&M users do that. Not me, for example.

I very much doubt that HelpNDoc is better than H&M, but what I know for certain is that their user support couldn't be any better than you will find here from Tim and Alexander.

regards,

Martin.
julio

Unread post by julio »

Welcome to the real world. We are here for professional reasons and we make decisions based on professional needs.
Ga Bowen

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi,

It is possible to answer this only if you use both programs. I don't imagine many H&M users do that. Not me, for example.

I very much doubt that HelpNDoc is better than H&M, but what I know for certain is that their user support couldn't be any better than you will find here from Tim and Alexander.

regards,

Martin.
Fair enough. I jst find that most of the time people know the direct competition. I'm a Framemaker user but I know all the feautures you can get in Flare.

Tim has been exceptionally helpful, though. :)
julio wrote:Welcome to the real world. We are here for professional reasons and we make decisions based on professional needs.
Yeah, thanks for the life lesson, julio. :roll:
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi!

On G2 Crowd is a comparison list including customer reviews of several help tools. HelpNDoc is listed there as well, so you can compare it side-by-side with Help+Manual:

https://www.g2crowd.com/categories/help ... g-tool-hat

Most customers/reviewers have a LinkedIn profile, it's possible to ask them directly, too. However, I don't think that in this forum are many people who use both products and can therefore spot the differences. I checked out HelpNDoc a couple of years ago and it did not impress me back then - but that was years ago and I guess they have improved the product quite a lot. But my view is biased, Help+Manual is still the better tool, of course :D

What we can say for sure is that we do have many more users than HelpNDoc, simply because we have been on the market for almost 20 years. We also know that users of Madcap Flare and Robohelp who switched to Help+Manual like the ease-of-use. There must be some users who switched from H&M to another tool, but we don't know their motivations.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Ga Bowen

Thanks Mr H. That's a good website.

It does seem that people love both products although, as you say, the user base is bigger for H+M

For anyone who's bothered I have been using HelpNDoc and H+M for about 2/3 weeks now and both are quite similar. I'd say HnD has a better trial method, is simpler to use and is very cheap. H+M has more output formats, better conversion and more advanced features all round.

The support for both seem excellent up to now, but H+M has a much better help forum.

They are both easy to learn, but I would say that HnD is easier to use, but H+M has more to master.
pl labrie

Unread post by pl labrie »

I will download the demo version (HelpNDoc) to evaluate