Creating a flat, no-frames project

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Hawco

Creating a flat, no-frames project

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

Hello. I'd like to create a really simple project that's basically a single page containing several tables (for tabular data, not for page layout). I could simply do this outside of H&M in a plain text editor, but with all those tables, and given that I'll be updating this frequently, I thought H&M would be a good choice for WYSIWYG editing.

But I can't seem to create HTML output that doesn't have a navigation frame. I tried a few different skins, and in the project Configuration > Publishing Options > Webhelp > Layout I selected "No Frames" (and turned off the Navigation item for "when a topic is loaded outside the navigation frame..." item). But when I compile, it shows up like any other project, with a navigation frame on the left.

What am I missing? Is there a way to do this? (One-page project, no frames.)

Thanks!
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Creating a flat, no-frames project

Unread post by Tim Green »

Ed Hawco wrote:What am I missing? Is there a way to do this? (One-page project, no frames.)
The No Frames option is what you want here, but you also need to remove the reference to a skin -- i.e. deselect the skin in the Publish screen. Otherwise the No Frames setting in the project will be ignored, because that is in your project template, not your skin template.

When you select this, the normal Layout template is not generated at all. Instead, the TOC file is generated as index.html, and the only scripts included are for dynamic content like toggles etc.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Hawco

OK, I see.

So I did that, and what I got was an index.html page that contained a link to my one topic, and the topic page (topic.html).

Is there a way to get rid of that navigation altogether, so that the one topic page is generated as index.html?
e
d
Ed Hawco
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,
Is there a way to get rid of that navigation altogether, so that the one topic page is generated as index.html?
Not automatically, but if you're really just editing one page, simply rename it to index.html after publishing. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Hawco

Ah, the old "manual override." The most useful but under-rated solution in the world of technology. ;-)
e
d
Ed Hawco