Help Context Tool

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

IngvarRu

Help Context Tool

Unread post by IngvarRu »

I need to create a format string:
#define mydefine "help\\myhelp.chm::mytopicid.htm#myanchor>sss" //my title topic
I was able to form a part of this:
#define mydefine "help\\myhelp.chm::mytopicid.htm>sss"
But how can I insert a Title topic which will be the commentary? The variable <% TITLE%> is not working.

And the second. I do not use MapID in my project, but I do not specify it, the Map list is not exported. Why?
Similarly with anchors - until I point out their MapID I do not see them in the list and they will not be exported
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Help Context Tool

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ingvar,
But how can I insert a Title topic which will be the commentary? The variable <% TITLE%> is not working.
That is correct. You can only use the variables for generating the map file there.
And the second. I do not use MapID in my project, but I do not specify it, the Map list is not exported. Why?
I'm not quite sure I understand the question here. However, the context tool will only export a map list if the source topics and anchors in your project actually have context numbers.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
IngvarRu

Tim Green wrote: That is correct. You can only use the variables for generating the map file there.
And how can I then add Title Topic in my Map?
Tim Green wrote: I'm not quite sure I understand the question here. However, the context tool will only export a map list if the source topics and anchors in your project actually have context numbers.
Why?
I do not want to use MAPID in my project. And I do not want to manually do MapID for each anchor, then to not use it.
I want to export all the names in the MAP topics, with all the anchors.
Tim Green
Site Admin

IngvarRu wrote:And how can I then add Title Topic in my Map?
You can't automate that. A map file is not intended to be human-readable. It only contains references.
IngvarRu wrote:I do not want to use MAPID in my project. And I do not want to manually do MapID for each anchor, then to not use it.
I want to export all the names in the MAP topics, with all the anchors.
The purpose of this tool is to manage help context numbers for Microsoft CHM files (that is why it is called the context tool). So it can only be used on topics that have help context numbers defined.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
IngvarRu

Tim Green wrote: A map file is not intended to be human-readable. It only contains references. .
I do not agree with you.
The file I give programmers. According to the commentary they can understand to what relates to the functional topic.
Tim Green wrote: The purpose of this tool is to manage help context numbers for Microsoft CHM files (that is why it is called the context tool). So it can only be used on topics that have help context numbers defined.
I can not use use MAPID. I can open the topics from my program using the full name (HTM file). What I am doing.
And I was wondering how can I get a list of anchors, not manually assigning each MapID
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ingvar,

Those are valid points. However, as it is at the moment the tool still focuses on CHM files, because it was originally created to manage context numbers from those. I've passed your requests on to our development team for discussion. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Ingvar,

The context tool exports a string list only and the list consists of just 2 variables: the name and the value (in other words: the topic ID and the context number). That's why it doesn't take any other variables into account. It does not have any information about the topic title.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH