TOC in a page?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Christian Kessner

TOC in a page?

Unread post by Christian Kessner »

In our existing Web Help we have a short TOC for that page with anchor links to the headings on that page, e.g.:

- Topic 1
- Topic 1.1
- Topic 2

Topic 1

Text ...
from ...
Topic...

Topic 1.1

Text ...
from ...
Topic...

Topic 2

Text ...
from ...
Topic...

So that the reader can jump to the interesting part on a certain page.
Is there a possibility to create such a TOC automatically within one topic (i.e. with one click, like "Create TOC for this page"?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: TOC in a page?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Christian,

This feature is included in the Premium Pack skins, where it is called "AutoTOC". You simply define heading styles with the trigger string _atoc (top level) or atocs_ in their names and all the headings on the page with those styles are automatically included in a drop-down menu. You can see the instructions for this in the online version of the documentation here:

V3 Responsive skins: http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... _atoc.html
V2 WebHelp/EWriter skins: http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... _atoc.html
CHM skins: http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... _atoc.html

More information on the Premium Pack add-on here: http://www.helpandmanual.com/products_hm_pluspack.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Christian Kessner

Hi Tim,

I like that.....
But I also like the look from the "Webhelp, iFrames Responsive, Blue" Skin.
Is there a way to put the look from this one into a premium skin?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Christian Kessner wrote:Is there a way to put the look from this one into a premium skin?
Sorry, the internal structure of the two sets is completely different. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Christian Kessner

Hi,

sorry to revive this rather old thread. I just now tried to use the Auto TOC feature, but I failed.
I renamed my Heading Style to Heading2_atoc_ or Heading2_atocs_ (tried both) and published the project with Flat_Slate_Blue from the 3.15 Premium Pack V3 Repsonsive Skins.
I didn't make any additional settings with variables since they should be set up okay by default.
Am I missing something?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Christian,

How many headings with AutoTOC styles do you have in the topic? By default, it will only activate with 3 or more AutoTOC headings on the page because it's a bit silly and pointless with just one or two. You can change this with the configuration variable ATOC_MINHEADERS in the AutoTOC variables group.
Regards,

Private support:
Christian Kessner

Hi Tim,

that's not it, there are seven. I checked for each one, and the style is correctly Heading2_atoc_
Tim Green
Site Admin

Christian Kessner wrote:that's not it, there are seven. I checked for each one, and the style is correctly Heading2_atoc_
That's strange. Since your skin is out of date anyway, please update to the 3.30 Premium Pack and use a fresh skin from there. If you don't have the download and installation credentials any more contact me at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll help you out. If it still doesn't work after that I'll have to have a look at a demo project and your copy of the skin.
Regards,

Private support: