Different URL after changing webhelp template

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Markus Leoni

Different URL after changing webhelp template

Unread post by Markus Leoni »

Hi

I updated my h&m 6 to version 7 and with this I changed my webhelp template. But now the URL Syntax differs. (see below)
Is there any property I can change to have the old url syntax back, or is this a limitation of the new template?

My old Template was

Code: Select all

\HelpAndManual6\Templates\HTML Skins\Premium Pack 2.72\WebHelp Skins\WebHelp_SlateGrey.hmskin
The New Template is

\HelpAndManual7\Templates\HTML Skins\Premium Pack 3.21\V3 Responsive Skins\Flat_Slate_Grey.hmskin
The URL generated from the old template was

www.mypage.com/manual?mytopic.htm
But now it looks like

www.mypage.com/manual/mytopic.html
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Different URL after changing webhelp template

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Markus,

The URL you were using with your old templates was actually an error. You should never use a filename other than "index.html" for the main page in traditional HM skins. It should always be index.html. Also, the reference you show is incorrect with the name manual as well -- it should be manual.html. It can't work otherwise.

If you do use index.html?topic.htm in your URLsyou can continue to use that old syntax in your URLs to topics in WebHelp created with the new V3 skins. They will still interpret it correctly then. However, it is a really bad idea to go on using the old syntax. You should switch to the new syntax as soon as possible because it is more efficient and simpler for the users. Google and other search engines will use it automatically, just as they always have -- they always link to just the topic name. Also, we don't guarantee to go on supporting the old syntax forever. We will probably remove support for it at some time in the course of the year.

Please do study the documentation for the new skins and the Premium Pack carefully. It will help you to get the most out of the skins. You can find it in the chapter Help+Manual Premium Pack 3.22 in the main Help+Manual help, and you can find the online version here:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3help/

Information on the syntax can be found here:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... nking.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Markus Leoni

Re: Different URL after changing webhelp template

Unread post by Markus Leoni »

Thank you for the clearly explained answer, and the links. It helped me to understand why the syntax changes.
So I added the index.html also into the URLs my application calls into www.mypage.com/manual/index.html?contextid=xxxxx and the directlinks works now. Thank you :D

best regards
P.S: sorry with the /manual/ in my samples. It is just a subdirectory and not the name of my index. But I forgot to explain so sorry for confusing.