HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Pat Barry

HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling

Unread post by Pat Barry »

I have a compilation error that I just can't find.
HHC 5003 Error Compilation Failed while compiling main_screen_layout.htm
and I have searched for the name, used Find & Replace, with all 6 options, searched for the file extension, looked at my images, and I am stumped.
Any suggestions for how to find this? Thanks, Pat Barry
CompileErrorCapture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Pat,

I've split your post into a new thread because it was not really related to the other discussion. Please always start a new thread for new subjects. That makes the forum a lot more useful when people are searching for information. :)

This is a well-known gotcha in the CHM format, caused by one of the many uncorrected bugs in the ancient Microsoft CHM compiler. You will find the file reference in Configuration > Publishing Options > MS HTML Help > Help Windows. It will be one of the targets in the User Defined Buttons table at the bottom of this screen.

These entries define the topics or files to be accessed by the three configurable buttons that you can include in the CHM viewer toolbar. If the targets are not included in the CHM itself the compiler will always post an error about the reference. This doesn't mean the button won't work; just that the compiler can't find it in its source. If your button is working OK you don't need to change anything. Otherwise just delete the reference. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Pat Barry

Re: HHC5003: Error: Compilation failed while compiling

Unread post by Pat Barry »

Thank you sooo much !!
Pat