Text search in a merged project

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aaron DiFede

Text search in a merged project

Unread post by Aaron DiFede »

I have a help project with several merged projects included. It is published as Webhelp and functions as expected except for searching. When using the search function in the compiled help it does not search the merged projects. Is there a setting I need to change to allow for this, or is it a limitation with merged projects? I could not find anything that addressed this in the User Help.
Aaron DiFede

Re: Text search in a merged project

Unread post by Aaron DiFede »

Well that's odd. It just decided to start working....
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Text search in a merged project

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Aaron,

When working with WebHelp search it's important to know that the search index is generated from the files in the output folder, not from the source Help+Manual projects (it is HTML-based search, so it needs the HTML files for the index).
  • Always use the option to delete all files in the output folder before publishing. This ensures a fresh index that doesn't include contents of old topics with different names left over from previous publish operations.
  • Always upload all files,
  • Regularly clear out the folder on your web server as well. Otherwise old topics there will continue to be accessible to Google and other search engines.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.