Context-Sensitive Help not launching Help files to Map ID

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

David Duprey

Context-Sensitive Help not launching Help files to Map ID

Unread post by David Duprey »

I've deployed my Web Help and the Context-Sensitive Help is not working.

When I launch the Help via the link it opens, but it will no open via the 'F2' button which is the button used to launch Help.

The old RoboHelp program had a .js File to do this, but I can't find a corresponding file in this program.

The idea is that when 'F2' is when the user clicks into a box and hits the 'F2' key the help will launch and focus will go to the Help item associated with that box they had focus on.

Thanks,
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Context-Sensitive Help not launching Help files to Map I

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi David,

The problem is probably that your system is still using your old links to your old non-HM help. You need to use Help+Manual's WebHelp syntax for linking to your WebHelp topics. See this page in the documentation for details if you are using Help+Manual's standard skins or the standard Premium Pack WebHelp skins:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... rcalls.htm

If you are using the new Premium Pack V3 Responsive skins there is a new syntax:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... nking.html
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
David Duprey

We are upgrading from our existing RoboHelp 7 installation to this new version of Web Help.

Currently our system makes calls using the Map IDs via Javascript:
<tr>
<td>1a.</td>
<td>1/2 Day K UNWTD Enrollment</td>
<td><input type="text" name="34868" maxlength="14" size="16" value="0" onfocus="javascript:loadMappingID(1);javascript:setLastFocus('t34868'); this.style.borderColor='#000000'; this.select();" id="t34868" onBlur="this.style.borderColor=''" readonly class="printborder" tabindex="-1" style="background:silver" AUTOCOMPLETE="off" onKeyDown="return handleKeyDown(event, '/sams', '34868', '1490361822952');" onchange="javascript:setChanged();"><label for="t34868" style="display: none;">null</label></td>
<td><input type="text" name="34693" maxlength="14" size="16" value="0" onfocus="javascript:loadMappingID(74);javascript:setLastFocus('t34693'); this.style.borderColor='#000000'; this.select();" id="t34693" onBlur="this.style.borderColor=''" readonly class="printborder" tabindex="-1" style="background:silver" AUTOCOMPLETE="off" onKeyDown="return handleKeyDown(event, '/sams', '34693', '1490361822952');" onchange="javascript:setChanged();"><label for="t34693" style="display: none;">null</label></td>
<td><input type="text" name="34694" maxlength="14" size="16" value="0" onfocus="javascript:loadMappingID(113);javascript:setLastFocus('t34694'); this.style.borderColor='#000000'; this.select();" id="t34694" onBlur="this.style.borderColor=''" AUTOCOMPLETE="off" onKeyDown="handleKeyDown(event, '/sams', '34694', '1490361822952');" onchange="javascript:setChanged();"><label for="t34694" style="display: none;">null</label></td>
</tr>

Our 'form' has many items on it. Each Item has up to three boxes, a Prior data, Actual data and Projected data. If the user clicks in the box and hits the 'F2' key the help used to open the Web Help and the section that had Item 1A which has an anchor tag as well as the corresponding mapid.

We have hundreds of these items that are tagged with MapIDs, and would rather not recode everything with new calls.

Thanks,
David Duprey

Another question I have is what Javascript file do I use on our application to capture the keystroke to launch the Web Help System?

Our users enter information on forms with collection boxes and it uses Javascript to launch the Help file. We also have a link to the Help File start page in the program.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi David,
We have hundreds of these items that are tagged with MapIDs, and would rather not recode everything with new calls.
Well, you're going to have to bite the bullet and do it. There is no way around that. And since JavaScript won't import along with your HTML, you're going to have to rejigger the links in Help+Manual anyway. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

David Duprey wrote:Another question I have is what Javascript file do I use on our application to capture the keystroke to launch the Web Help System?

Basically, you just need to call the URL using the syntax explained in the documentation I referenced above. How you do it from your application is entirely up to you. Your application programmers will already know how to attach a function to a key combination, if you want to do it that way, for example. There is no "javascript file" they need to call -- it is a basic JS capability.
Regards,

Private support:
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

David Duprey wrote:We have hundreds of these items that are tagged with MapIDs, and would rather not recode everything with new calls.
Why not change your existing loadMappingID function so that it opens your help the H&M way, something like this?

Code: Select all

<script>
	function loadMappingID(contextNumber) {
		var documentationURL = "http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index.html";
		var contextURL = documentationURL + "?contextid=" + contextNumber.toString();
		var targetWindow = "MyDocumentationWindow";
		var features = "menubar=no,toolbar=no";

window.open(contextURL, targetWindow, features);
	}
</script>
David Duprey

Simon,

Thank you. I was just thinking about writing a Javascript file to accommodate this.

I'll try this out. I think it should serve our needs perfectly.

Thanks again.