Featured image om cover

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gunilla Svanfeldt

Featured image om cover

Unread post by Gunilla Svanfeldt »

I would like to be able to use the same PDF template for different manuals (different products) in order to avoid having to maintain several very similar templates. However, I need to have different cover images for the different products.
Can I use the option This picure is a placeholder for topic feature images for that purpose? If so, where do I select the image since this is normally done in the topic?

Thank you in advance.
/Gunilla
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Featured image om cover

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gunilla,

You can't use the feature image function for the main cover because feature images are only available in topics. However, you can create a topic file containing the cover image in each project with the same ID, and insert that in your template as a text snippet. Then you can use the same template with each project and each project will provide its own cover image.
  1. In the Project Files section of your project create a new project file with a unique ID. Make a note of this ID, because you need to use the same one in each project.
  2. Insert the image and anything else you want to use for the cover in that topic. You can also use formatted text, styles etc. -- the only restriction is that it must all fit on one page in your PDF template.
  3. Set the build options of the file to PDF only so that it is only included in PDF output.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 in all projects you want to use with this template, using exactly the same topic ID for your "cover topic" each time.
  5. In the PDF template use the Insert Text Snippet option in the Insert menu to insert a snippet referencing the topic ID from step 1 on the cover page. You will need to experiment a little with the size and position of the snippet box, because you won't see the content until the PDF is published.
When you publish with the template, the cover image and any other content will then be inserted from the local version of your "cover topic" in each project.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gunilla Svanfeldt

Re: Featured image om cover

Unread post by Gunilla Svanfeldt »

Great, I'll give this a try! :D
Thanks a lot!
/Gunilla