Formatting page number referrers (PDF)

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tamara Pickrell

Formatting page number referrers (PDF)

Unread post by Tamara Pickrell »

Is there a way to change the formatting of the page number referrers in the print manual? I've tested all the styles, but the page number is always sooo tiny! My current project will be in print only, for a "more mature audience," and they're going to need a better option.
Tamara Pickrell
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Formatting page number referrers (PDF)

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tamara,

You can change the style but not the size. The problem here is that all the referrers must be exactly the same size, and Help+Manual must know exactly what that is. Even the smallest change can change the pagination, and in large projects that can make big differences very quickly. Then all the numbers would be off. Otherwise it would be necessary to republish multiple times until the numbers stop changing, and that would take forever... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tamara Pickrell

Unread post by Tamara Pickrell »

Well, that's disappointing, but I understand the issue you're describing.

So, to clarify: do you mean that all the referrers within one project must be the same size (a 3-digit page number takes up the same space as a 2-digit page number), or that all 7 of the styles are actually the same size as each other? I'm wondering if it's worth making a feature request for a style with a larger number...
Tamara Pickrell
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Tamara Pickrell wrote:So, to clarify: do you mean that all the referrers within one project must be the same size (a 3-digit page number takes up the same space as a 2-digit page number), or that all 7 of the styles are actually the same size as each other?

The former -- all the referrers in a single document must be exactly the same size, otherwise the pagination gets skewed. Different documents can have different sizes; they must just all be the same size within a single document.
Tamara Pickrell wrote:I'm wondering if it's worth making a feature request for a style with a larger number...
You can try, but the chances of implementation are limited. You are the first person who has ever asked for this and the referrers could only be made wider, not higher. If they become higher they will change the line height in the lines where they occur, and that opens a technical can of worms that you don't even want to think about... :roll:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.