Single search for multiple projects

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

olgarev_tw

Single search for multiple projects

Unread post by olgarev_tw »

Hi!

I have five separate H&M projects, each published in its own folder. Is it possible to make a single search index for all of them, so that users will have to input the keyword only once and immediately find the related topics in all the projects?
There is the start page - the html page with the links to all these projects, so the single search field can be placed on that page, and that will be really nice.
May be I should create a master project or something like that?

Thanks in advance,
Olga
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Single search for multiple projects

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Olga,

You can only achieve this with the standalone version of the Zoom web indexer from Wrensoft included with Help+Manual, and only if you create your own search page separate from the WebHelp generated by HM. Then you use Zoom's spider mode to index the files in all the multiple projects directly on your website and the search page provides results pointing to the individual projects. Searching all the projects from the integrated search page in each project wouldn't work, however. You can integrate the standalone version of Zoom in Help+Manual, but that will also work for single projects. If you want to span multiple projects and/or include other file types in the search (Word, PDF etc) you need to use Zoom on its own with a separate search page not embedded in the WebHelp.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
olgarev_tw

Unread post by olgarev_tw »

Thanks for the quick reply,Tim! Is the standalone Zoom indexer version included in H&M, or should we buy it separately?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

olgarev_tw wrote:Thanks for the quick reply,Tim! Is the standalone Zoom indexer version included in H&M, or should we buy it separately?
You need to get that separately from Wrensoft. The license for the bundled version with Help+Manual only includes the integrated version.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.