Formatting Tables

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sean Godley

Formatting Tables

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Hi all,

I am having an issue in Help and Manual with formatting tables. I assume that the correct way for text to be displayed in tables is for it to be justified, but when I create tables with justified text they look wrong when the manuals are published. However, if they are not justified then they also do not look correct because the right-side margin is wonky. How can I get good-looking text without using the justification feature?

Many thanks,

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Formatting Tables

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

Why do you assume that justification is the correct method? Normally you should never use justification for text that is read on a computer screen because it makes it much harder to read. You can use justification for print-style output (DOCX, PDF), but then you must also use automatic hyphenation, otherwise it will look terrible.

An unjustified right margin isn't "wonky" unless you think it is. Actually, it is fine. :mrgreen:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I am in the habit of justifying text as - at least in my opinion - it results in a better quality of presentation. So you are saying that it is okay for table-based text to have a 'wonky' right side? It doesn't look right to me but I will trust your expertise if that is the industry standard!

Thanks,

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

Many tests have shown that justified text without hyphenation is harder/slower to read because the large and varying spaces between the words make it impossible for the eye to follow easily along the lines. Look at any quality online publication -- New Yorker, New York Times, The Guardian -- none of them use justification any more, for precisely that reason. On-screen justification looks terrible and is much harder to read.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.