inverted images, single character lines

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

cedric peasebody

inverted images, single character lines

Unread post by cedric peasebody »

Hi,

New user latest version.

Images appear inverted in top left corner and text appears as single char per line.

Indents are in the correct location.

Publishing to a4 pdf

Is there a way to default or reset all pages to a standard layout within a template or must I do ever page individually?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: inverted images, single character lines

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cedric,

It sounds as though there is either something very wrong with the PDF template you are using, or you are using tables incorrectly. First try publishing to PDF with one of the standard templates without editing it.

You could get the single character per line effect if you edit the topic text placeholder object in the Topics section of the template and make it too narrow (it should be as wide as your text and ideally 3-4 lines high).

Another way to get that effect would be to have tables set up that are too wide for the page. Then all column widths become automatic and some columns may become super-thin. See this topic on managing the HTML-style table columns used in Help+Manual:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... widths.htm

Also, avoid using tables for general layout topics at all costs. You will regret it when you try to produce WebHelp output, because tables will break every responsive layout.

If you continue to have problems, please mail a small demo project and your .mnl PDF template file to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it for you.
Is there a way to default or reset all pages to a standard layout within a template or must I do ever page individually?
Don't worry. You definitely won't have to do any individual per-page layout changes -- unless you have been trying to lay out all the text in every topic with tables (then you will have to remove all the tables).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cedric peasebody

Thanks,

Another user here has since warned me against the use of tables.
Sadly, the project I've inherited uses a lot of them.

I think the exporting is a rather advanced feature that requires the kind of knowledge that will take (me at least) 6 months or so to get working adequately.

I'm deeply into re-writing (and removing tables) now but once that is done, if I'm still stuck at the export - I'll take you up on your kind offer to have a look at a small subsection of the project I'm trying to smash into pdf.

Thanks again,

cp
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cedric,

The solution may be simpler than you think. I recommend that you send the project, or at least a sample part of it, to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) so that we can check it and comment. To create a smaller version for mailing just select Save As... in the File menu and choose the "compressed/hmxz" format (first option). Then in the copy delete all the topics you don't want to include and mail just the .hmxz file. This is a compressed archive that contains the entire project except external graphics, which we don't need for this check.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cedric peasebody

Thank you.

Currently the layout is approximatly correct in HTML but these issues appear in Word and PDF.

I will get a subsection sent across for advice.

cp