lost images

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

cedric peasebody

lost images

Unread post by cedric peasebody »

Hi,

New user, latest version, old project.

Red crosses appearing where images should be.
I want to discover where the application THINKS the images should be.
Properties of the images does not show me a path of the original image file, just the name and a browser starting from where (I KNOW) the images were not sourced from.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: lost images

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cedric,

This is a feature, not a bug. 8) Image references only have the image name, the location(s) is/are defined in the Project Search Path setting in the Project Explorer on the left, down in Configuration > Common Properties > Project Search Path. Help+Manual searches the folders listed there from top to bottom and inserts the FIRST image it finds with a matching name (so you have to avoid duplicates).

This makes it very easy to change the locations of your images and move your project around. Note that internally, the folder references are all relative. This means that if you put the image folders inside your project folder you can move the whole project without ever having to change the search path references. :mrgreen:

See this topic in the help for more details:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... naging.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cedric peasebody

Re: lost images

Unread post by cedric peasebody »

Features not Bugs, that's a very familiar term to me too. Except, I usually say "Un Documented Features"

Your explanation is very clear and I can find the search paths where you mention.
The note about duplicate names is also very useful, I work with many sections of screen shots (often with duplicate names and identified by path).
I'll add that one the list of "features to remember".

After beating my head against it for a while, I discovered you can right click the lost image, click properties, and browse all the likely directories. When I finally found where the previous user had left the images - I used the current dialog to add the path to the project.

I would not have had this problem if it was a new single user project or if it was not in a domain enviroment.

Thanks again for your help.

cd