Manual designer: Creating a section

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tamara Pickrell

Manual designer: Creating a section

Unread post by Tamara Pickrell »

1. Is there a way I can create a section that will appear separately in the document's Table of Contents?
2. Is there any method of inserting content outside of the Topics pages that gets around the 1-page limitation of snippets?

My objective is to have an "Appendix" section at the end of the manual, before the Index. I'd like it to be listed in the TOC, but separate from the outline-style numbering of my other chapters (just as the Index is).

I investigated using the Endnotes for this, and I also know how to insert new pages, but neither of those methods created a TOC entry -- plus, as far as I know, they would both require snippets, and my Appendix has evolved to be about four pages long.

I'm guessing that I will have to give in and make the Appendix content a regular Topic section, but I keep hoping there's another solution that I'm overlooking.
Tamara Pickrell
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Manual designer: Creating a section

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tamara,

There is currently no way to create PDF template pages where the text flows from one page to the next. That is an absolute restriction. You can add any PDF template section to the Bookmarks TOC (the interactive one shown in the PDF Reader) by editing its page options and adding the title for the TOC to the PDF Bookmark Text: field. You can't add these additional pages to the print-style TOC configured in the Table of Contents section, however.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tamara Pickrell

Re: Manual designer: Creating a section

Unread post by Tamara Pickrell »

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks, Tim.
Tamara Pickrell