Printing causes 404 Error

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

sethdawson

Printing causes 404 Error

Unread post by sethdawson »

I have the print button enabled on my web help site. I am using a skin from Premium Pack 3.3. When I click print on a subject, I get a 404 - File or directory not found server error?? There is a URL at the bottom of the error printout that looks like it may be a temporary file with a .htm extension. Any ideas on what could be going on?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Printing causes 404 Error

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Seth,

Which skin are you using? Also, is your WebHelp on an Internet server or a local intranet? If it's on the Internet please mail me a link to it at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I will check it out for you.

Also: Is this happening in all browsers or just one, probably Internet Explorer?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
sethdawson

Unread post by sethdawson »

It's a customized version of the Webhelp, Integrated IFrames Blue Header.hmskin skin. Here is the URL http://pecloud01.cloudapp.net/PEHelp/in ... pvault.htm
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Seth,

Thanks for the link. This is caused by a recent bug in Internet Explorer that needs to be worked around in those skins. If you print in any other browser it will work fine. It will also work if you use a Premium Pack skin (that is one of the standard skins) because they all generate a print preview, which works around the issue. You can find the Premium Pack skins in the \Templates\HTML Skins\Premium Pack 3.30 folder in the Help+Manual program directory.

Note: When you provide links to a page using these skins, always use the full index.html?topic.htm syntax. If you don't, the user will initially only see the topic without the full user interface. 8)

The new V3 Responsive skins in the Premium Pack can use a much simpler syntax.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
cindynotbrady

Unread post by cindynotbrady »

I'm getting a printing error, but it's in every browser I've tested. Something new was released, and now our customers cannot print all the content in a topic; just the first page. Our skin is so mutilated now that I can't even upgrade just yet (I'm working on that). But for today, I was wondering if you could direct me where in the skin or baggage files the print preview and print commands are?

Would it be in one of the css?
Tim Green
Site Admin

cindynotbrady wrote:I'm getting a printing error, but it's in every browser I've tested. Something new was released, and now our customers cannot print all the content in a topic; just the first page. Our skin is so mutilated now that I can't even upgrade just yet (I'm working on that). But for today, I was wondering if you could direct me where in the skin or baggage files the print preview and print commands are?
We need to know what skin you are using and whether you have edited it. There is now a very wide variation between the contents and features of the skins, so it's not possible to say or test anything without knowing which you are using. :?
Regards,

Private support: