Topic doesn't publish

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Anna Ryut

Topic doesn't publish

Unread post by Anna Ryut »

Hi again, I have one problem.
I have a project and when I'm editing it, it looks like this: there is a topic, it is included in a publish build and there is some text on this topic.
Then I publish project in HTML (HTM) format. Open exactly this topic and it doesn't show edited text, it displays only [Enter topic text here]. (!But there was text!)
I decided to test it for other formats (and exported it in CHM) and when opening this topic there occurs a mistake like here http://news.helpandmanual.com/2017/06/b ... to-fix-it/. But this page is for YouTube video... and I have this problem with the topic. Still, I did all recommendations from this topic, but this doesn't help. Each time I publish project, again and again, there are no changes in this topic, still [Enter topic text here].

Please advise where is a mistake?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Topic doesn't publish

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Anna,

What is probably happening here is that the topic you are editing and the topic in your output are actually two different topics. Note that the table of contents is really only a file containing a list of hyperlinks pointing to topics. All the topics themselves are actually in the Project Files > Topic Files section lower down in the Project Explorer. If you look there carefully you will almost certainly find both the topics, probably with similar but slightly different names.

The other possibility is that the browser is showing you the old version of the topic from its cache (temporary Internet files). You can solve this by choosing the browser option to delete the temporary Internet files or by pressing F5 several times in the browser until it refreshes. A similar problem is if you are testing directly on your web server and there is a proxy server between you and the web server. Then it can take quite a while before you see any changes after uploading, because what you are seeing is not on the web server but what is on the proxy server, and in many cases that only refreshes from the actual web server at some predefined intervals. How long the intervals are depends on the configuration of the proxy.

If you continue to have problems we need to have a look at your project. Please create
a small demo project as follows and mail it to me at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @):
  1. Select Save As... in the File menu and choose the first option (Single File Storage)
    and save the project under a new name.
  2. In the copy, delete all the chapters and topics that you don't need to demonstrate
    the error. Just select them in the table of contents and press DELETE.
  3. Publish once with the new copy to make sure that the problem can still be
    reproduced.
  4. Mail me just the .hmxz file created with this procedure.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.