WebHelp

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

matt harris

WebHelp

Unread post by matt harris »

Hi

I have a strange issue with a webhelp where i have inserted links to Anchors further down a topic and then links from that place back to the original place in the topic (effectively a Back button). These seem to work OK using Chrome but in IE11 the Back button takes you to the top of the topic as opposed to the Anchor. If you then go back and try Chrome again the Back link longer work there either.

This also happens if you link to another topic, it takes you to the top of the page instead of the Anchor

I'm using the Boxed Palin Grey Responsive Skin, but I have also tried several different Skins with the same effect.

Any ideas please

Thanks

Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: WebHelp

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Matt,

I just tested this (at least, as you describe it) in Internet Explorer, Edge and Chrome and it works fine in all of them without any errors. Check that you have placed anchors at the beginning of both paragraphs you want to jump to (down and up) and that the links you are creating are linking first to the topic itself (i.e. the ID of the current topic) and then to the anchor name. You do this by creating a link to the current topic -- for example by dragging the link text to the topic entry in the TOC -- then double-clicking on the link and selecting the anchor from the anchor list to the right of the ID target. Then it should work.

If you continue to have problems please mail me your .hmskin file and a small demo project top support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I will check it for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
matt harris

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply. I recreated toe links in the way you advised but still got the same result. What i forgot to mention before and I now think is the issue, when creating the links I had them as buttons. If i just have them showing as Hyperlinks it works fine. From an aesthetic point of view I really need the buttons. any ideas?

Thanks

Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

matt harris wrote:What i forgot to mention before and I now think is the issue, when creating the links I had them as buttons.
Ah, light dawns. Yes, I can confirm this. There has been a change in the button code generated by Help+Manual that isn't compatible with the way that these links are handled in the skins. For the moment you can work around this by using the "Picture" option for the link and using a little graphic of a button.

I'm going to see what can be done here in the next update -- it's actually a little complicated, because the buttons are now a completely different beast entirely to the normal links.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
matt harris

Thanks Tim. I thought I was going crazy

Matt
matt harris

Hi Tim

Has this issue been resolved in the update dated 07-09-17?

Thanks

Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

matt harris wrote:Has this issue been resolved in the update dated 07-09-17?
Yes, button links now work again with the combination of Help+Manual 7.3.2 and Premium Pack 1.35. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
matt harris

Hi Tim

That's perfect, just one more question. I have a custom skin based on the Boxed Plain Grey Skin from PP 3.22, is there anyway to update it to the PP 3.35 version without having to recreate from scratch?

Thanks

Matt
Tim Green
Site Admin

matt harris wrote:That's perfect, just one more question. I have a custom skin based on the Boxed Plain Grey Skin from PP 3.22, is there anyway to update it to the PP 3.35 version without having to recreate from scratch?
That depends on what you've done. The new Copy Config function in Toolbox will transfer a lot of things over, including any of your files in the Baggage, as long as they have different names from the original files:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... onfig.html

What this can't do is merge in code changes you have made. The risk of serious errors is much too high there. If it's not too urgent you also might want to wait a little: I'm just finishing up an update which replaces the font-based icons in the V3 skins with SVG sprites. This makes it possible to use your own icons by copying the paths from your SVG icons to the icon file, and prevents problems on computers where web fonts are blocked for security reasons (including the EWriter versions).
Regards,

Private support:
matt harris

Thanks Tim, the copy config function worked perfectly