Excluding Chapter from PDF Output

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Olivier Beltrami

Excluding Chapter from PDF Output

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

When I try to exclude a chapter from PDF output as shown in the attached image, the chapter is indeed excluded from PDF but it is also excluded from CHM.

For the CHM outpout, I am launching H&M7 with the following parameters:

Code: Select all

"I:\Help\QppDocumentation.hmxz" /CHM="I:\Help\HTML\QppHelp.chm" /V="I:\help\Q++TextVarsXV4.ini" /keeptemp /I=UNICODE,XE2,XV4,ONLY_XV4 /O="I:\Help\Qpp - Blue.hmskin"
What am I doing wrong ?
2017-07-08_20-33-23.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Excluding Chapter from PDF Output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Olivier,

First try publishing manually from within Help+Manual, not from the command line. That will tell you whether the error is in your project or in something in the command line files. If it is in the project look to see whether the chapter above the one affected is also being included in CHM or not. If it isn't, then that would be the cause, because then the TOC entry has nowhere to go (it needs its parent if it is going to be in the TOC).

IMPORTANT: Note that if you exclude a chapter in formats that support invisible topics (WebHelp, CHM) this will NOT exclude the topic files of that chapter automatically. It will only exclude the TOC entries (since they then have nowhere to go). The topic files will still be exported unless each topic has the same exclusion built settings, and they will be there in the help and can be found with search and the keyword index.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Olivier Beltrami

Unread post by Olivier Beltrami »

Thank you Tim, as always, for your prompt and thoughtful response.

I found the issue, when all output formats are selected for a topic, then the following parameter string is sufficient:

/I=UNICODE,XE2,XV4,ONLY_XV4 
But as soon as they are not all selected, then I must specify the format as:

/I=UNICODE,XE2,XV4,ONLY_XV4,CHM
It now works fine, thank you very much.

BTW, what I am excluding are the 1000+ messages topics from the PDF as they make no sense out of context and eat-up 300 pages. So the issue of children of disabled topic does not matter here.
Olivier Beltrami
https://www.qppstudio.net
Worldwide Public Holidays and Calendar Data
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Olivier,

When specifying Include options in command line publishing it's always best to include the output format itself (CHM in your example) as the FIRST option. It will probably work the way you have it as well, but best practice is to have it first. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.