Project Exploerer: why are items gray?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Dressel

Project Exploerer: why are items gray?

Unread post by Ed Dressel »

In the Project Explorer, some of the items are gray. For example, in the image below

Under "Frequently Asked Questions", the first 6 items are gray. Others were also gray until I edited them, and the font became black.

What is causing this?

Thank you,

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Project Exploerer: why are items gray?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

One reason for this can be if you have multiple users accessing the project and editing topics. Then the topics being edited by other users are set to read-only and highlighted in the TOC -- by default by making them grey. If that isn't the case the most likely cause is that you have TOC filtering turned on. See here for details on this:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... manage.htm

However, looking at your screenshot that doesn't really make sense either, because you have the same build options set for all visible topics. Is it possible that those topics really are set to read-only? Try editing them. If that is the case it may have something to do with an external application, for example a version control system not supported by Help+Manual that is locking your files for some reason. If files are locked externally to Help+Manual while you are editing that could cause problems. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Tim:

Thank you for the response. I can edit them just fine, and then the Explorer items go from gray to black. I recently switched from a single file to the .hmxp file--and I do keep my source files in a Google drive folder so I can edit them on my laptop (when I travel). This is probably key--but I have edited that much on my laptop, very seldom as of late.

What is also strange is I just opened my project up in two different copies of H&M on the same computer, and different items were grayed in the Explorer list.

Thank you,

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ed,

Check your settings for topic status, both in the status definitions and in View > Program Options > Editor (status for new topics and status after changes). The status definitions can be accessed in Configuration > Common Properties > Topic Status. You have most likely defined a status with a transparent background that is changing based on the status settings for new and changed topics in the editor configuration. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Dressel

Tim:

I didn't even know I could create my own status items, and have not defined any.

I still cannot figure out what is causing it.

Ed Dressel
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Ed,

Please mail me the project or a download link to the zipped project at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll have a look at it. :shock:
Regards,

Private support: