Linking to Chapters in Embedded Manuals

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Sean Godley

Linking to Chapters in Embedded Manuals

Unread post by Sean Godley »

Hi team,

I have now written nine manuals with your software and I'm very happy with it. I work for a software company that produces many products, and also bundle packages of multiple products. In order to streamline editing etc, the bundle packages feature an introduction followed by embedded manuals for the included software products. As far as I can tell, it is not possible to link from the introduction to chapters contained within the embedded manuals. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Linking to Chapters in Embedded Manuals

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

To answer that question we need to know what output format you are using, how and where you are embedding the manuals and what you mean by "embedding" in the first place. "Embedding" is not a term that has any kind of fixed definition, so it's not possible to say what is possible without knowing what you are doing in the first place. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Hi Tim,

I output the manuals in Webhelp and PDF. I embed the manuals when I am writing the 'master' manuals. I use the standard "Add Topic" option and, when prompted on the format for the new topic/chapter, I select Include Help Project. The desired manual is then embedded into the 'master' manual. As mentioned, as far as I can see, it is not possible to link from the introduction of the 'master' manual to chapters contained within the embedded manuals.

Any tips would be great,

Thanks,

Sean
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Sean,

What you're describing there is a modular project, not embedding, that's why it was confusing. :) There is a simple mechanism for linking to topics in other modules in modular projects. If you look in the link dialog you will see an option for selecting a different help project. Select the project of the other module, then you will see a list of the topic IDs from that module and then you can create the link.

If you look in the chapter on modular projects in the documentation you will find a topic on linking between modules with full instructions:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... odular.htm

I urgently recommend that you study the entire chapter carefully if you are working with modular projects. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sean Godley

Great, thanks Tim, I will check it out.

All the best,

Sean