Filename capitalisation

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Filename capitalisation

Unread post by John Johann »

H&M changes all filenames to lower case when building a CHM.

Is there a way to turn this behaviour off and have the filenames the same as the XML topics?
Tobias Escher

Re: Filename capitalisation

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

+1 for webhelp.
I know lowercase file names are standard, but in my company capitalization has a meaning.
So "xyz" and "XYZ" mean two different things. I would very much appreciate H+M leaving file names as they are, especially for topics and image files.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

No, this is currently an absolute restriction. All filenames are lower-cased in all HTML-based outputs. An option to allow the original case might be provided in the future but it's not currently available. My guess is that the developers would only be willing to make a change like this together with the change to a new major version of the program.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

It makes far more sense to change all topic IDs to lower case. But I promised never to mention it again, so I won't. :)

Martin.
John Johann

Unread post by John Johann »

Don't agree Martin :-)

Our case is the same as Tobias -- different meanings depending on capitalisation.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

John Johann wrote:Don't agree Martin :-) Our case is the same as Tobias -- different meanings depending on capitalisation.
OK, but mixed-case naming on the internet will cause you grief in the end. That's why H&M lower-cases all the file names.

A topic ID and a file name are symbols, not titles. If upper and lower case titles mean different things, you could prefix the IDs as upper_ and lower_ accordingly, or some similar scheme. That's what I would do.

I still remember fondly the one and only version of H&M which lower-cased the topic IDs automatically. Now I just do it manually without thinking every time I create a new topic. That way the ID always matches the file name. :)

regards,

Martin.