Applying custom page Margin & Columns

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ga Bowen

Applying custom page Margin & Columns

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

Is it possible to assign different column layouts to different topics?

I want to assign some topics to a two column layout and some to a single column layout.

I presume you can't do this in Print Manual Designer, so any hack or idea would be gratefully received.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Applying custom page Margin & Columns

Unread post by Tim Green »

You can't do this in Manual Designer, because there you have to define the column layout for the topics section, and that includes all topics. There are really only two ways you could do this:

a) Create "fake" columns with tables. The problem there is that it will only work if everything fits on a single page, and editing is really difficult, because nothing will flow from "column" to "column".

b) Create a column layout and make a screenshot of it and insert it as a graphic. That is even worse, because you can't search for any text (it's all a graphic) and re-doing it after editing changes is even more difficult.

On balance, I would say that it's probably not worth the effort except for single small topics that would fit on a single page, using a table... :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ga Bowen

Re: Applying custom page Margin & Columns

Unread post by Ga Bowen »

OK.

Thanks for the reply. :)