Paragraph Numbering

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Andrew Sowerby

Paragraph Numbering

Unread post by Andrew Sowerby »

I'm trying to number existing paragraphs (which are separated by blank lines), but the numbering is applied to both the paragraphs and the blank lines in between eg,
1. Para 1
3. Para 2
etc. I select all the paragraphs and then select the appropriate numbering style. I guess I'm missing something obvious here but can't figure out what.

Regards...Andrew
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Paragraph Numbering

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andrew,

That's easy: After numbering everything, including the blank paragraphs, click in the paragraph you don't want to have numbered and click on the numbered list tool once to turn off numbering for that paragraph. The list will still stay complete and numbering will "skip" that item. Repeat for any other paragraphs you want to treat the same way. See this topic in the help for full details:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... mbered.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andrew Sowerby

Thanks Tim, that was easy! I did search the help, but missed that item. However, a useful enhancement might be to provide a 'Ignore Blank Lines' checkbox for the numbering?

Regards...Andrew
John R.

Unread post by John R. »

Andrew and Tim

A simpler way is to enter a carriage return (new line character) at the end of each item by pressing "Shift + Enter".

This enters a new line without creating a new paragraph and the list numbering numbers paragraphs.

Regards,
John
Andrew Sowerby

A simpler way is to enter a carriage return (new line character) at the end of each item by pressing "Shift + Enter".
This enters a new line without creating a new paragraph and the list numbering numbers paragraphs.
Thanks John, it is indeed simpler. However, a 'Ignore Blank Lines' checkbox for the numbering would be an improvement in cases when we forget your advice!

Regards...Andrew