Image Toggle Oddities

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

Image Toggle Oddities

Unread post by Tim Frost »

1. If I place three image toggles on the same line in the H&M editor, separated horizontally by a few space characters, when I build an E-Book I find that they appear vertically, one below the other, and quite widely spaced down the page. This is with the new skins: I did not check whether this also happens with the web help version. I got round this issue by putting each one in a table cell.

2. In the table (autosized) the output had the three images very close together at the first attempt. So I tried to add padding on each side in the image toggle. The only way I could do this was to enter 0 10 0 10 in the box on the main toggle dialog. The small padding dialog worked apparently normally at first, but on re-opening it, it became confused about which co-ordinate was which, and on closing the dialog each time the value in the box changed to 0 10. Also the small dialog appears on my first monitor when I am working on the second.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Image Toggle Oddities

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,
I find that they appear vertically, one below the other, and quite widely spaced down the page.
That is normal. To work, image toggles have to be wrapped in HTML block elements and by default those always start a new line. It has nothing to do with the skins.
I got round this issue by putting each one in a table cell.
That's the way around it. That being said, tables should be avoided unless the preview images are very small. Otherwise they will mercilessly break any responsive layout on mobile devices. Tables are the worst enemy of responsive layouts and the only real solution is to never use them for layout purposes. The V3 skins have solutions for tables used for tabular data, but those should only ever be used for data only. Layout tables should be considered to be the plague in any pages that will ever be viewed on mobile devices.
but on re-opening it, it became confused about which co-ordinate was which, and on closing the dialog each time the value in the box changed to 0 10
That's correct, there's nothing wrong there. The CSS shorthand is used for padding. By default that is four numbers clockwise (top right bottom left). However, if you have the same padding for top/bottom and right/left only two values need to be used, so you will only see 0 10 (for zero at the top and bottom and 10 for left and right). If you set the same value for all four sides you will only see one number.

On the dialog appearing in the other monitor: Perhaps that is the monitor you started the program in and then moved it? Interaction with multiple monitors on Windows is still very complex. We've made a number of improvements recently but there may well still be some quirks.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

PS: The tables problem on mobile is going to be solved as soon as the new CSS Grid standard has been finalized and adopted officially by all major browsers. Support is not currently dependable, and Internet Explorer is lagging well behind all the other browsers (and that's needed for EWriter). Learn about it here if you're interested:

https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/com ... uide-grid/
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Thanks, I just tried the help on a phone and the three images in the table look OK - they are only 15% size.

It was the dotted lines in my screen shot that made me think the 0 10 must also be wrong: are they really meant to display the padding right and below when the numbers appear left and right? Looks like a bug to me.