Google Analytics in different versions

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ed Hawco

Google Analytics in different versions

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

Hello. I have a mobile SDK that I publish in two different versions (iOS and Android). Both outputs come from a single source project, and the differences are managed in the usual ways (conditional text, variables, separate output channels).

I'd like for each to have two separate Google Analyics tracking IDs, but it seems there can be only one ID per project (as opposed to one ID per output). Is there a workaround that I can use so that each output has a separate tracking ID?

If not, any idea what happens if I use a single tracking ID, given that the Google setup assumes ID = URL, and in this case we'd have "ID = URL2 + ID = URL2" ?

Thanks!
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Google Analytics in different versions

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ed,

You can use a text variable for the GA account number and thus change it for different builds. In Configuration > Common Properties > Text Variables. For example, you could create a variable called GA_ACCOUNT and enter the account ID for the most frequently used account there. Then instead of entering the account ID in the Google Analytics section you would enter <%GA_ACCOUNT%>.

Then to export a build with a different account number you set up a task in the Publishing Task Manager in which the variable is reset to the ID of the other account.
If not, any idea what happens if I use a single tracking ID,
Don't do that. Google would definitely penalize you for it, either with a lower ranking or by not tracking at all. My guess is that the second possibility is more likely. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ed Hawco

Re: Google Analytics in different versions

Unread post by Ed Hawco »

Brilliant! I didn't realize I could use a variable for this. I'm already pretty familiar with using them elsewhere, and I already have the two separate publishing tasks set up, so this will be a snap to implement. Thanks!
e
d
============================================
Ed Hawco