Structure for conditional versions

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

John Johann

Structure for conditional versions

Unread post by John Johann »

Hi,
I'd just like to clarify the best strategy for creating custom builds for different software versions.
The objective is to have one master project for the newest bleeding edge version of the software with the latest development features.
This master project should also be used to build the help for the last stable version which does not contain the test features and any intermediate bug-fix versions.

If I
1. Create custom build tags, e.g. V1, V1.1, V1.n
2. Tag the topic files, with new topics getting the V1.1 .. tag
3. Apply the same tags to the entries in the TOC
4. Apply the same tags to any sections within a topic to conditionalise the individual new features
5. Make sure "Silently include linked topic" is disabled

Will I get output for V1 without any release features (also inaccessible with search / keywords)?
Will I get output for V1.1 with all the features?

Thanks
John
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Structure for conditional versions

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi John,

This approach is absolutely correct. Just a couple of comments:
2. Tag the topic files, with new topics getting the V1.1 .. tag
3. Apply the same tags to the entries in the TOC
That's not strictly necessary as a 2-step process. By default, tagging in the TOC will automatically tag the linked topic file as well. Tagging in Topic Files doesn't automatically tag the TOC, because sometimes you want to tag files separately for a number of reasons.

When publishing WebHelp, always remember to use the option to delete all files in the output folder before publishing. Otherwise any old files left over will be included in the search index and you will also upload them to the server. Similarly, remember to flush the WebHelp folder on your web server when you perform updates with changes. The best server updating procedure is to upload to a new empty folder, check that everything's working, then just rename the old and new folders accordingly.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Excellent. Even better that tagging in the TOC also tags the topic files.
Publishing will be to CHM / print for the moment when I get to grips with image sizing.

Any thoughts on installing the WebHelp locally or better to stick with CHM?
John
Tim Green
Site Admin

John Johann wrote:Any thoughts on installing the WebHelp locally or better to stick with CHM?
Instead of local WebHelp, use EWriter, at least if you are on Windows. That is "WebHelp in a Box" -- i.e. full WebHelp but in a single file with an embedded or separate viewer that behaves in a similar way to CHM, with additional benefits. Start here for information:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... writer.htm

Configuration and capabilities:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ks_exe.htm

With the exception of some specialized CHM features that are hardly ever used any more, EWriter combines the benefits of WebHelp and CHM and eliminates the disadvantages of both. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
John Johann

Hi Tim,
Looks interesting.
Not sure how that would work running in parallel with CHM for the transmission period and with the way our help is called from the interface (XYZ.chm::/page.htm).
Also need to look more into the modular aspects
A quick convert using one of the default skins did not output the SVGs (which work in CHM) to the ewriter format.
John
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,
A quick convert using one of the default skins did not output the SVGs (which work in CHM) to the ewriter format.
Which skins were you using and which SVGs are you using? Unless you're working in Windows XP or earlier, and provided your Internet Explorer is current (version 11 is now the only valid version of IE) SVGs should work fine in EWriter, just the same as in WebHelp.
Regards,

Private support:
John Johann

Hi Tim,
WebHelp, Two Frames Classic Skin Black/Blue/Silver don't show the SVGs

SVGs have a ViewBox and width / height specified and work in the CHM / PDF output.

WebHelp, Integrated IFrames Blue Header works in EWriter format.
IE11.

John
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi John,

The "classic" skins are designed for "legacy" applications that are still using old versions of Internet Explorer. Otherwise they should not be used because they contain a lot of deprecated code and structures, including old framesets.
Regards,

Private support: