Launch project from SharePoint

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Paul Elbertse

Launch project from SharePoint

Unread post by Paul Elbertse »

Good afternoon,

In our company it has been decided to store all our documents in a SharePoint document library instead of using a share.
All of my Help and Manual source data is also on a share.
Is it (technically) possible and/or advisable to also move all these files to SharePoint? This would mean that I would launch a xxx.xmxp file from SharePoint. Publishing would than also be done within this SharePoint environment.
I guess the answer is "do not do this" or "this is not possible" but I reallly need the experts opinion.
I you need more information or if I am not clear, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Launch project from SharePoint

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,
Is it (technically) possible and/or advisable to also move all these files to SharePoint? This would mean that I would launch a xxx.xmxp file from SharePoint. Publishing would than also be done within this SharePoint environment.
SharePoint doesn't know anything about Help+Manual and Help+Manual doesn't know anything about SharePoint. So this is only advisable if SharePoint does absolutely nothing to your files. If it changes them in any way, changes their properties or adds its own files to your projects then you shouldn't do it.

However, configurations that have SharePoint often also have Team Foundation Server (TFS) version control systems installed, and Help+Manual does support that actively. See here for details:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... cs_tfs.htm

It makes much more sense to put your projects in TFS, even though SubVersion would really be preferable.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Paul Elbertse

Tim,

Thanks for your reply.
I have read some things in your manual about TFS and the first thing I saw was that when using TFS it is needed that a working copy is stored locally. This is exactly the problem I have. Our company does not want to use any share anymore and wrting to a local drive is not possible already anyway. So either they let us keep a share for our projects or this is the end for our use of Help and Manual.

Regards,
Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Paul,

That's unfortunate because working on a network for any reason is always much slower than working locally. One of the huge benefits of using version control is that you don't need to work on the network any more and you get the full advantages of the local speed of your machine.

However, I'm also discussing this with our developers responsible for all the data storage and network components, so hopefully I'll be able to provide some more detailed information here shortly. I'll keep you posted. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: Our developers confirm that you should not under any circumstances try to store, edit or load your Help+Manual projects in SharePoint. It is designed primarily for Office documents and will not handle other types of data well. It is also quite likely that it has a simple kind of internal versioning that could easily damage or change your projects in unpredictable ways.
Regards,

Private support:
Paul Elbertse

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for the update.
This is a very important message for me.

Paul