Webhelp link to drop down toggle.

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Webhelp link to drop down toggle.

Unread postby Dan Rosen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Is there a way to provide a direct link to a drop-down toggle? We have a page with multiple drop-down toggles and if a user's question involves a specific issue, would like to point them directly to an expanded toggle rather than always typing to them:

1. Click on this link.
2. Expand the topic. xyz ....

Here's an example page: http://videoredo.com/TVSuite_Application_Notes/op_settings---advanced-tab.html

Thanks, Dan

PS. Tim you might find this content of personal interest :)
Dan Rosen

Re: Webhelp link to drop down toggle.

Unread postby Tim Green » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi Dan,

You can't do this with the standard skin you are using but it is supported in the skins in the Premium Pack. They have a technology called "ToggleJump" that provides a lot of smart things you can do with toggles and anchors. If you place an anchor directly to the left of the toggle header the page scrolls down to the page with a small animation and then opens the toggle. If you put the anchor inside the toggle the toggle is first opened, then the page scrolls down to the anchor position. This also works with nested toggles, opening them all first and then scrolling to the anchor position.

Here is an example of a link like that for V3:

http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... r=cssrules

You can read about it here (this describes the V2 skins but it works the same in the V3 skins for both EWriter and :

V2 WebHelp + EWriter:
http://www.it-authoring.com/info/pp3hel ... gjump.html

By the way: If you use the index.html?topic.htm syntax for linking to your help in the standard skin it will open with the full UI instead of just with the topic page. This isn't necessary in the V3 skins, where you just need the topic.html URL for everything,
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Dan Rosen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Thank Tim. Will check out the V3 premium skins. We have a license, but I don't believe we've ever taken advantage of them.

By the way: If you use the index.html?topic.htm syntax for linking to your help in the standard skin it will open with the full UI instead of just with the topic page. This isn't necessary in the V3 skins, where you just need the topic.html URL for everything,

Is there way to generate these links from the on-line webhelp page? Currently, I simply right click on the topic, and select "Copy link address".
Dan Rosen

Unread postby Tim Green » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Dan Rosen wrote:Is there way to generate these links from the on-line webhelp page? Currently, I simply right click on the topic, and select "Copy link address".

When you publish with that standard skin look in the Skin Include Options box on the lower right in the Publish screen. There is an option you can activate there that displays the fully-qualified topic URL at the bottom of the page, which you can then copy with a right click.

By the way: Do make sure you're using the current version 3.35 of the Premium Pack before you deploy a skin. You can check that by looking at the title of the Premium Pack help chapter in the main Help+Manual help. Your download credentials are in the mail you received when you purchased. If you no longer have them contact me at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll help you out.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Return to Help & Manual 7 Forum