Tracking TOCs for Topics

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Jacob Wall

Tracking TOCs for Topics

Unread post by Jacob Wall »

I've started using the multiple TOCs option, and it's fantastic - it allows the option to reorder existing content for different documents.

However, the one obstacle I've encountered identifying which other TOCs the topic belongs to. I currently have 5 TOCs - one for the main help manual, and others that are portions corresponding to training course material. I also exclude content using tags; so, when I add tags or edit content otherwise, I find it difficult to dig through the other TOCs to see if they include the topic and make sure my changes are OK.

I'm using the Include in Build option to reflect this, but it's not the best since I can forget to do it, or accidentally check the wrong box.

Is there a way to track which TOCs a topic is in?

Thanks!

Jacob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Tracking TOCs for Topics

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Jacob,

There isn't a search facility for this at the moment but it would definitely be useful. We've added it to the wish list for future features. It probably needs to be in the Report Tool or Topic Referrers, possibly both. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Jacob Wall

Re: Tracking TOCs for Topics

Unread post by Jacob Wall »

Thanks for adding that to the wishlist. As I work through this, I have discovered that the ifnot conditional text option is working a little better; it allows me to quickly indicate and later see what is excluded from a specific build/TOC rather than trying to figure out what is included with the IF condition.

I'm looking forward to seeing some sort of search facility for which TOCs a topic belongs to in the future.