Compiler disregarding PDF page references

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Mimi Broeske

Compiler disregarding PDF page references

Unread post by Mimi Broeske »

I have been using Help and Manual since version 5. I have many references to URL based PDFs where I use the common syntax for directing to a specific PDF page. This has always worked in the past. When I compile the file now, the page reference is disregarded and only opens the PDF to page 1. This is only in the CHM file. The web-help works correctly. Any ideas!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Compiler disregarding PDF page references

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Mimi,

From the documentation on this subject:
  • You cannot link to named destinations in PDFs from a page in a CHM file. The Microsoft CHM viewer will block all attempts to do this. You can only use a normal file link to open the PDF file at the first page. That is the only option available. This is a limitation of the CHM format and the Microsoft CHM viewer. Help+Manual cannot do anything to change this (and the PDF must be in the same folder as the CHM to open at all).
http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ations.htm

You write that this worked in the past. Have you really had named destinations work in CHM, or was it just that it worked before in WebHelp so you were hoping that it would work in CHM as well?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.