removing PDF bookmark numbering

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rebecca Harris

removing PDF bookmark numbering

Unread post by Rebecca Harris »

I'm reproducing a manual which had previously been in Flare, and I'm having an issue when I publish to PDF. I want the PDF bookmarks to look like the TOC in H+M:

Code: Select all

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Basics
Chapter 3: Aggregates
Chapter 4: Flow Control
    Logic and controlling the program flow
    If-Else
    Choose
Instead, once it's published to PDF, it's adding numbers to most of the chapters and topics.

1 Chapter 1: Introduction
2 Chapter 2: Basics
3 Chapter 3: Aggregates
4 Chapter 4: Flow Control
    4.2 If-Else
    4.3 Choose
I know the topics that do have numbers, like "If-Else," are purposely formatted to have page breaks to a new page, using the Level 2 heading. The ones that don't have numbers, like "Logic and controlling the program flow," are also using the Level 2 heading, but they are within the main chapter page. This follows the previous version of the manual.

Is there a way to remove those numbers for the PDF bookmarks?

Regards,
Rebecca
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: removing PDF bookmark numbering

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rebecca,

If you are seeing those in the bookmarks TOC in Adobe Reader then the numbers are actually in the TOC captions as plain text. So what you are getting are the automated numbers generated when the bookmarks TOC is generated, plus the static numbers in the TOC captions. I'm afraid you're going to need to edit the TOC captions to remove the numbers there. That is definitely required, because you don't want static numbers there. For example, they won't change if you insert new topics between existing topics, or when you move topic entries to a different position in the TOC. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Rebecca Harris

Right, but when I take out "Chapter N" from the TOC captions of the chapters, I still get

4 Flow Control
     4.2 If-Else
     4.3 Choose
I don't want the "4.2" in front of "If-Else" or other topics. It's adding numbers to some topics but not to others.

Also, since I'm trying to duplicate a previous Flare-produced version of this manual, it would be nice to have "Chapter N" for the chapters. Being able to remove the autogenerated numbers for all of them, or to somehow add "Chapter" in front of the relevant number, would be helpful.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Rebecca,

You can turn off the auto-numbering entirely. Configuration > Publishing Options > Adobe PDF > PDF Layout. Untick Outlines are numbered tickbox.

edit: Well that doesn't seem to work nowadays. :? But you can delete each numbering placeholder in the PDF template (Topics page).

regards,

Martin.
Last edited by Martin Wynne on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebecca Harris

Ah, so delightful for the numbers to be gone! Thanks!