"Tidy XML"?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Gehman

"Tidy XML"?

Unread post by Dave Gehman »

Preparing for a Japanese translation. The translator (it's not me) will not have an H+M license.

Documentation offers a strong recommendation to use "Tidy XML" when translating topic XML code - but I find only

(1) an old sourceforge page that says Tidy XML is no longer maintained. A link on that page takes me to...
(2) libtidy, which seems to be for HTML, not XML.

I don't see "Tidy XML" in the H+M executables / program distribution

Where can I obtain it?
Martin Wynne

Re: "Tidy XML"?

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dave,

You don't obtain it -- you switch it on in H&M.

Configuration > Common Properties > Miscellaneous Options. Tickbox for Write translation-friendly XML.

I haven't used it yet (it's a new feature), so there may be other things to set.

cheers,

Martin.
Dave Gehman

Thanks.

Bit of strangeness, but I figured it out - the ribbon bar has "Options" that includes "Common Properties," but there's nothing applicable under that. However, the navigation / TOC pane has a "Configuration" keyword (not "Options") and that DOES have a "Common Properties" topic with a "Miscellaneous Options" that includes that contains a switch for translation-friendly XML. It's as though there are two competing UIs...
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Dave,

I've never liked the ribbon since the day it was introduced. Previously we had old-style Windows menus which worked just fine, and took up far less screen space.

Always look in the project menu on the left of the screen to find stuff which is project-specific. What's not there is in the top File menu which doesn't use the ribbon. It includes Program Options which you should explore if you haven't found it yet.

cheers,

Martin.
Dave Gehman

Thanks again, Martin. I've been through the options, very early on, but closed it back up and went with defaults. I don't know enough yet to make intelligent decisions around the options (other than the XML option that's part of this posting, now known thanks to you).